Honored Contributor

Re: What foods you ate as a child

There's nothing I ate then that I absolutely won't eat now, but I avoid pork chops because we had them so frequently when I was a kid and I've never really liked them. My sister was a picky eater, so my mom wound up repeating a lot of dishes that my sister would eat. Now my sister is a vegetarian. I love pork, just not the pork chops.

Respected Contributor

Once in a while my mom made something with Spam when I was a child. I have never eaten it since. 

Honored Contributor

@ANewHue

"liver wurst sandwiches and jello"

Ditto - gagme.gif

@birkin baby

"Scrambled pork brains and eggs"

Ditto - Throwup.gif

"Vienna sausages"

Still love them only now I fry them up in the frying pan.

=========

Beans & peas Throwup.gif

I loved beef stew as a child.  Now as an adult the sight of it makes me gagme.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

Sugar. As a kid, I ate lots of sweet things: candy, cake, donuts, ice cream, pie, etc. Now I don't eat ANY sugar, including fruit. Sugar is so bad for you; I wish that I hadn't eaten so much of it as a kid.

Respected Contributor

Guess I really can't think of anything that applies to me. As I recall in my youth we were lucky to have food to eat. Thank God for the abundance we have now.

Honored Contributor

I don't eat potted meat sandwiches, don't eat cheese, don't drink fresh cows milk, or koolaid on a daily basis.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

Sugar. As a kid, I ate lots of sweet things: candy, cake, donuts, ice cream, pie, etc. Now I don't eat ANY sugar, including fruit. Sugar is so bad for you; I wish that I hadn't eaten so much of it as a kid.

@Goldengate8361  Completely forgot about sugar,  used two teaspoons everyday in my tea and Pepsi was a staple in the house.  Gave all that up decades ago as well.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I read every single post here, some I laughed at, one I felt badly for. 

I started in the early 50s, the Wonder Bread era, you know the white bag with the colored balloons.  I remember bottled qrts of milk being delivered.  My 2 sisters and I couldn't wait for the milkman to arrive.  Now I strugle to recall why.  We ate mostly cereal for breakfast, eggs, bacon on the weekends with fruit. 

Later we grew into eating sandwiches like many here have said.  Yes, I did liverwurst too.  Liked it then, still do.  We'd go to this deli on Saturday morning with sawdust on the wood floor.  The minute you got close to it you could begin to get that whiff of one great deli.  We'd get deli meats for Dad's lunches and these homemade big poppy seed hard rolls that were wonderful. 

Dad was a real meat & potatoes guy who loved his desserts too.  So it was meat, mashed potatoes and a veggie (one that he'd eat) every night.  Spaghetti was a real treat because Mom of course made her own sauce that simmered all day.  We'd beg her to saute extra onions so that we could have an onion sandwich.  YUM

As I got older Mom & I would venture out and have stuff at dinner that nobody else liked ie mushrooms for instance.  Bottom line there isn't anything I ate way back when that I wouldn't or don't eat today.

ANd if you're wondering, my liverwurst sandwich was with mustard & pickles on one of those hard rolls.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I also ate spam and saltines......and loved it! Yuk!

Honored Contributor

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

@Goldengate8361   It was why  I ended up with a mouthful of big mercury fillings and now have a mouthful of crowns and root canals.....all thanks to that abundance of sugar I ate as a child.