Honored Contributor

What easy things do you make for outside grilling & side dishes?

There may be already a topic for this but I didn't see one.

DH & I like to eat outside when we can and there is usually just us 2.  We don't do fancy. We might just have hamburgers, dogs, potato salad, mac salad, baked beans, things like that.  Once in awhile we will do foil packets with potatoes, onions, pepers, etc.

However, we are getting kind of bored with the same old things.

Can anyone give me some fairly easy recipes for dishes to do on the grill and also side dishes to make?

Oh, we use a charcoal grill if that makes a difference for the grill recipes.  

Thanks so much!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

Re: What easy things do you make for outside grilling & side dishes?

A few years ago I bought 2 grilling pans from the Q.  One is a rectangle( 18x12) that has a perforated bottom on one half, a solid bottom on the other half.  The other pan is all perforated (11x11).

I use the rectangle a lot more often than the other one because I can do veggies on one half, meat/fish on the other half - dinner done all at once quick & easy.  Clean up on this one is easier too which typically is the morning after only because it's cooled down by then.

So what do we fix?  It's just the two of us too.  We eat a lot of fish, but we'll do ribs (bone in or not), burgers, dogs, chops, brats,  a steak for DH, anything really.  We're not picky with what we eat but rarely eat beef, me a lot less than DH.  I just don't digest it very well, takes forever to pass through.

I'll julienne veggies - carrots, parsnips, asparagus, green & yellow squashes.  They grill fast but so does any fish so I can put them on all at the same time, done at the same time.  And this would be all we'll have too - fish/meat & a veggie.  We've really cut back on a third side like potatoes, rice, pasta etc.  I'd more make a side salad to go with. 

And to grill outside doesn't heat up my kitchen during the hot days either. 

Respected Contributor

This is my EASY go to. London Broil, bottle of whatever is on sale Italian dressing and a large zip lock bag for marinating. Baked potato started in the microwave. After about one minute take out and drizzle with olive oil, add salt and wrap in foil....finish on the grill, 15 mins. on each side. The skins get chard and are delicious. 

Regular Contributor

I love to make pizza on the grill.  Buy yourself a pizza grill pan. Got mine at Home Goods or Ross, but I have seen at BB and Beyond.  Sure you can find one at Target. 

I buy already made pizza dough at Trader Joes.  I prefer thin crust so I roll on the thin side. Have fun and create  just like you would if baking in an oven.  If layering with ground turkey or beef, cook first.   I made one this weekend with just fresh tomatoes, ground turkey, fresh basil and Parmesan. Yummy!!  I turn grill on low so as not to burn the crust.  

Honored Contributor

My son teases his dad that he knows what that "meal" will be. Steak, baked potatoes, mushrooms in butter, corn on the cob. All wrapped in foil (not the steak), for easy cleanup. Hubs and I will have grilled chicken tonight. I'll do a side salad and he can do mushrooms and baked potato. He'll do mushrooms with anything.

Trusted Contributor

Besides the standard burgers and dogs....

Tequila Lime Grilled Shrimp

Ham slices 

Ceasar salad 

Any kind of chicken 

Salmon on the grill is decadent

Grilled Pizza 

Stuffed mushrooms

Potato planks (grilled fries)

Whole onions stuffed with baked beans

Polenta

Grilled asparagus or broccoli or cauliflower (with Parm)

Don't get me started; we use the grill year 'round

Honored Contributor

Ask your butcher to slice steaks 1/3 to 1/2 inch thick the meat from a turkey breast (here, they have quarters not frozen.  

Put them in a bag with soy sauce, a little worcheshire, and some garlic.

Take them out and grill just like you would chicken.  We enjoy yellow crook neck squash and zucchini sauteed in a little olive oil over noodles with pesto and fresh parmesian cheese.

Valued Contributor

@pggoody   Just had a delicious pizza at our local diner/caterer place from their brick oven.  Steak/Onions/Ranch dressing.  I've GOT to try and duplicate this on our grill this summer.  Just thought I'd pass you an idea for you pizza grillers!

Trusted Contributor

We grill salmon a lot with some type of glaze on it

Shish kabob is easy, just put some marinated chunks of steak, sliced green and red peppers, onions, zucchini and mushrooms on skewers; they cook in about 15 mins.

Veggies are easy to do such as asparagus; just toss in some olive oil and seasonings and grill in about 15 mins. they are done

We've even made individual meat loaves on the grill!  We just make regular meatloaf but divide the meat up into mini loaves and cook them on the grill...we usually put a glaze of ketchup, worchestershire sauce and a little brown sugar on during the last 10 mins. or so of grilling.

We grill marinated boneless chicken breasts and then slice them and put them atop lettuce, tomatoes, croutons and cucumbers for a salad.

I  also have a grill pan from QVC and it's one of the best things I ever bought...it makes grilling so much easier as you don't have to worry about things falling through the grates and it cleans up pretty easily!! 

Honored Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD

@PINKdogWOOD wrote:

A few years ago I bought 2 grilling pans from the Q.  One is a rectangle( 18x12) that has a perforated bottom on one half, a solid bottom on the other half.  The other pan is all perforated (11x11).

I use the rectangle a lot more often than the other one because I can do veggies on one half, meat/fish on the other half - dinner done all at once quick & easy.  Clean up on this one is easier too which typically is the morning after only because it's cooled down by then.

So what do we fix?  It's just the two of us too.  We eat a lot of fish, but we'll do ribs (bone in or not), burgers, dogs, chops, brats,  a steak for DH, anything really.  We're not picky with what we eat but rarely eat beef, me a lot less than DH.  I just don't digest it very well, takes forever to pass through.

I'll julienne veggies - carrots, parsnips, asparagus, green & yellow squashes.  They grill fast but so does any fish so I can put them on all at the same time, done at the same time.  And this would be all we'll have too - fish/meat & a veggie.  We've really cut back on a third side like potatoes, rice, pasta etc.  I'd more make a side salad to go with. 

And to grill outside doesn't heat up my kitchen during the hot days either. 

Thank you!  Yes, it's nice to not have so much cleanup and not make the house all hot! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin