Honored Contributor

They talk about sweet, sour, salty and umami.  What the heck does umami taste like?  All those cooking shows I watch, all those cookbooks I buy, and I don't have a clue.  

Respected Contributor

Re: What does umami taste like?

Umami is meat taste, specifically it's the taste of glutamic acid. If you've ever tasted MSG (accent) or bouillon cubes or mushrooms, that's umami. Not salty, sweet, bitter or sour. 

Honored Contributor

Umami is the fifth flavor after sweet, salty, sour, and bitter.

To me it's best described as a good soy sauce flavor, although umami taste is also in Parmesan cheese, mushrooms, and seaweed.

There are online descriptions about the amino acid, and glutamate, and more.  Just to simplify, it's most like a good soy sauce.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Esteemed Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

Umami is the fifth flavor after sweet, salty, sour, and bitter.

To me it's best described as a good soy sauce flavor, although umami taste is also in Parmesan cheese, mushrooms, and seaweed.

There are online descriptions about the amino acid, and glutamate, and more.  Just to simplify, it's most like a good soy sauce.

@GingerPeach I agree. There isn't a perfect description of umami, but I think soy sauce comes closest. Also, mushrooms after they have been cooked down in butter, herbs and lemom. Sometimes certain meat gravies.

Honored Contributor

@Campion wrote:

Umami is meat taste, specifically it's the taste of glutamic acid. If you've ever tasted MSG (accent) or bouillon cubes or mushrooms, that's umami. Not salty, sweet, bitter or sour. 

definitely a MSG flavor!......a savory taste.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

until now i never hurd of it.

Honored Contributor

I always think of it as an ‘earthy’ taste.

Can’t pinpoint what it’s from but definitely

adds a ‘depth’ layer to the dish. 

Mushrooms & seaweed create it for me....

Honored Contributor

TRaders has a new spice jar out called Umami,  love all their spice jars passed on this one 

Honored Contributor

I did order the Trader Joe's through Amazon.  Can't say I'm now versed in "umami" but this stuff is good.  Cut way down on your salt when first experimenting.  

Valued Contributor

Its not any one flavor.  There is no specific flavor to it.  Its a savory taste imparted to a dish that makes it extra good and you can't really put your finger on it.  It could be from soy sauce, mushrooms, stock, or any number of things.