Esteemed Contributor

Re: What do you keep your homemade loaf bread in to maintain freshness?

I make mine from scratch. I posted my Health bread recipe on here, and also my oatmeal nut one. I use an electric knife to slice mine. I also do have a meat slicer that I can put the loaves on to make even slices. But I do prefer the electric knife.

This sure saves on money to make your own breads, and it tastes much better too. And the aroma throughout the house is wonderful!

Regular Contributor

What I've always wondered is why bread machine bread always seems to have an off taste. I've wondered if it's the brand of yeast or flour or the machine itself. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? I don't expect it to taste like store-bought bread tastes, but something always tastes a little off to me when I use my bread machine. I haven't tried making it by hand so I can't compare that to a machine. Any thoughts?

Trusted Contributor

I just saw this blog post from King Arthurs Flour:

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/blog/2015/01/13/homemade-sandwich-bread/

Tip number five addresses the OP's question.

Respected Contributor

We recently purchased some of Debbie Meyer's bread bags from Amazon and have been very pleased. They have worked better than anything else, including the expanding bread box discussed here. (Maybe with varying humidity levels we didn't have the proper opening).

Honored Contributor

I just finished separating the bread and I'll save my bags of other bread. With just the two of us, and my love of baking, these are great ideas. I really didn't think I'd get such a subject help on this. My husband also likes bread machine bread, but I again, needed a good idea to keep it in. Thanks to you all for the big helps.

Super Contributor

I store it in a plastic bag and put it in my wine frig. The temperature there is just cool enough to keep it fresher for a few days longer without killing it like the regular frig does.