Frequent Contributor

Re: What do you fix for Thanksgiving when there are only two of you?

When it's just the two of us for Thanksgiving, I do a turkey breast in the crock pot. Just put it in with an evelope of onion soup mix. It takes about 7 hours and is delicious. Then I just make 2 or 3 of our favorite side dishes.

Contributor

I just ordered the side dishes from a gourmet deli - stuffing, gravy, garlic mash, etc. I pick them up the day before and they provide great instructions for reheating (we did this last year too). All I do is make a small turkey -- and set a beautiful table. We'll light a fire in fireplace and lounge around all day listening to music & reading books. There was a time that I found it somewhat sad to have such a low key holiday -- but I accept it now and am grateful for the peace & calm of our small celebration.
Honored Contributor

It's funny how women get all stressed out by what Madison Ave. thinks we should be doing. I don't see men giving a ****. Enough pressure on today's woman. I refuse to feed into that. Not working myself to death for somebody else's opinion on how they think the holidays should be handled for all of North America. I'm keeping my blood pressure down and listening to what I want to do ,not, what other people think. I don't care if it's one of you, 2 of you or the Duggers. LOL To thine ownself be true.

If you enjoy a big gathering and cooking for a crowd, then, fine, but, for those of us who don't want that nothing wrong with that either.

Super Contributor

When it's just me, or two of us, I fix cornish game hens with wild rice as stuffing and stirfry veggies. Festive, still in the poultry family, and not a lot of work.

Regular Contributor

I would do a 6 lb roast chicken with stuffing, etc. However, if you really don't want to do the traditional dinner, how about king crab legs or lobster tail? It's extravagant but as my husband would say, "we're worth it."

Respected Contributor

Cornish hens are perfect for two, and they are very tasty.

I like to serve them with wild rice (you can use Uncle Ben's mix to make it easy). But Parmesan Potatoes or scalloped potatoes would be great.

A green vegetable (sautéed Brussels sprouts, fresh green beans (with almonds or cashews), or peas (with butter and thyme or little onions).

Rolls

I love to bake pies, but honestly, there are very good ones at the groceries and bakeries!

Honored Contributor

For the first time ever...we are in this spot this year. We go out to eat quite often, and will probably do so Wednesday and Saturday night of this next weekend.

For me, a Thanksgiving dinner can be sized back a lot and isn't hard to do at home, which is what I prefer. I'll get a turkey breast, have potatoes, peas, stuffing...all in smaller amounts.

Occasional Contributor

I make RESERVATIONS !
Super Contributor

On 11/19/2014 Chihuahualuv said:

When it's just the two of us for Thanksgiving, I do a turkey breast in the crock pot. Just put it in with an evelope of onion soup mix. It takes about 7 hours and is delicious. Then I just make 2 or 3 of our favorite side dishes.

I was going to fix a turkey breast in the oven but love your idea of using onion soup mix in the crock pot..........sounds yummy and will free up my oven........thanks & Happy Thanksgiving to all...
Trusted Contributor

I purchase a small turkey and make the traditional sides and one pie. We have the turkey dinner during the day around one and sandwiches with potato salad for the evening meal. We take a break and eat out one day and then finish up the leftovers. Works well for us, if I didn't want to cook the turkey than we'd go out but its not the same as having the meal at home with all the fixings and leftovers.