Honored Contributor

Re: What do you eat for dinner when you're too tired to

It depends on if I need to make something for DH, although he is not snooty about what he eats, most of the time.

I would eat apples and cheese or oatmeal.  

He'd eat cream of wheat (ick)...and toast if I am tired and don't want to cook.  

Salads come in handy as well I always have fixins for a salad in the house....and another ++ he'd do the dishes.

Respected Contributor

I don't need to be tired. I never feel like making dinner.  Egg sandwich, tuna sandwich, oatmeal, cereal. 

Trusted Contributor

Peanut butter toast.  Yum.

Respected Contributor

Since it's just me, I rarely bother to cook a "meal". It's nearly impossible to fix one serving and I hate leftovers. I do great when it's grilling season, but the rest of the year? Meh. 

My new "go to" is a slice of whole grain bread, toasted. I spread one of those individual cups of guacamole on it, slice a hard boiled egg over that, crumble some cotija cheese and add a little pico de gallo. Delicious.I walked & pulled my clubs for 18 holes today, so I had two of those when I got home. Quick and easy. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Esteemed Contributor

Canned soup, popcorn, cheese and crackers, PB & Jelly sandwich, egg & cheese sandwich, grilled cheese sandwich, warmed up leftovers, ice cream, flavored tuna packet....

Respected Contributor

@luvmyteddy4   Spring yardwork began today, so dinner was exactly as you described--too tired to cook one.  So I thought about the single serving leftovers stashed in the freezer, e.g.,  lasagna, vegetable soup, roast beef, pulled pork, etc.  Dinner-- a pulled pork bbq sandwich, cole slaw and chips--was ready in about 15 minutes.  BTW, clean up will be a breeze, too.  

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Trusted Contributor

Nights when I don't feel like cooking? Oh, you must mean everyday dinners!

Well, I admire those who keep dinner in the freezer for "emergencies." But if I have them, I just declare a permanent state of emergency until they are gone. So that's no good.

And I love cheese and crackers, but that's no way to treat the waistlines of nice people like us.

So I've taken to keeping steam-in-the-bag frozen veggies. Four minutes and I'm eating. Filling. I got a great one recently, with baby broccoli, peas, and I think it was spinach, and butter in the bag. 

Or, I often cook meals in the morning, and we eat the leftovers at night. 

My bar keeps getting lower and lower. Lazy! And yet, I no longer crave restaurant meals and haven't enjoyed the times I've done takeaway. Or things from boxes and cans. 

By the way, as for eggplant, snag a container of "baba ganoush" from the grocery store cold case, and try it as a dip for your fave veg or chip. I could eat my weight in baba, hummus, and olive tapenade.

Honored Contributor

Some good French cheese and crackers.  

Trusted Contributor

I know meal routines have changed among the younger generations, but I've been cooking dinner nearly every night for 50+ years. Hubby grew up with a mom who was an outstanding cook from Eastern Europe who was a stay at home mom, and his family had a "from scratch" dinner every night....meat, potatatoes, veggie, salad, bread, dessert. He's also one of the fortunate few who loses couple pounds if he skips dessert, and he needs to hold his weight. I do cook simple meals these days since our kids are long gone, but the only real break I get is when we go out to eat. Our last meal in a restaurant was February 2020 before pandemic. We have just had our first covid shots so hopefully we will be able to go to a restaurant in another couple months. 

Super Contributor

Cereal