Frequent Contributor

What do I do with a 7 lb pork loin?! I need recipes!

I accidentally froze (don't ask, LOL!) a 7 lb. pork loin. It's huge and way more than DH and I would eat in a few days.

When it defrosts, I will cut in half and roast that half like I normally do. But I'm wondering what to do with the other half. Obviously I can not re-freeze it.

So, I was thinking about making a stir fry with it. What do you think?

Any other ideas or suggestions on what to do with pork loin?

Respected Contributor

Re: What do I do with a 7 lb pork loin?! I need recipes!

In a crock-pot, mix a can of french onion soup with chicken broth, and cook on low till done, which depends on size and your crock. Cook a side dish of rice with french onion soup as part of your liquid, pick a veggie side, and supper is done.

Valued Contributor

When that has happened to me, I usually just cook the whole thing at once, and cut it into portions I would normally use for a meal, 2 or 3 sections? Then, I wrap separately and put it back in the freezer. It's cooked and ready for a easy couple of more meals in the future.

Occasional Contributor

That recipe sounds great tigriss!!

I just made pulled pork sandwiches with one, and it made a lot! I found the recipe online.

After searing the loin on all sides I placed it in the crock pot and poured a can and a half of root beer over it. Cook on low until done. (several hours) Pull apart with forks until shredded. Dump off liquid and add Barbeque Sauce. (I use Sweet Baby Ray's) Smiley Happy Enjoy!

Occasional Contributor

Anniecamp I like your idea too!

We were posting at the same time.

Contributor

I would roast the entire loin, then use the leftovers for sandwiches, hot or cold. I use sliced pork roast cold with good bread and a spread of mayo and mustard, or hot as an open faced pork loin sandwich with gravy, or a cuban sandwich. I also slice and fry up leftover boiled potatoes with onions, garlic, and cubed pork in one frying pan. This is one of DH favorite meals. I've also used leftover pork cubes as a base for french onion or vegetable soup. It's more affordable than beef. Leftover pork roast can be used in a stir-fry, too. Possibilities are endless. You could also cut a few slices off the raw roast and make pork chops with them.

Good luck and enjoy!{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Highlighted
Super Contributor

As usual, the posters here have given you great suggestions. When I have leftover pork, I tend to use in it Asian style dishes, but that's what I'm drawn to.

If all else fails, how about this?

Roast Pork for Today & Tomorrow

Respected Contributor

I usually just cut it into medallions, dip in in olive oil mixed with Malibu seasoning (comes in a packet) and pan-sear it. Very easy, and very, very good! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Frequent Contributor

Wow and Yum! Thanks for the great ideas everyone! Your recipes sound great! Now it's going to be hard to decide which one to go with!

Keep 'em coming-I can always use them for the future too, since we have pork loin often.

Valued Contributor

Butterfly it, pound it thin, put a layer of stuffing on it, roll it up, tie it and roast it.