Honored Contributor

Re: What cooking for this month of july?

[ Edited ]

@MOMMAVik wrote:
@JeanLouiseFinch! The Chicken Parmesan casserole turned out & tasted great! Even DH liked it. I had to resist trying to top with something crispy (perhaps buttered panko?)over the cheese layer. Do you have any keto substitute for that?

Thank you so much for sharing your tasty keto recipes & menus!

@MOMMAVik  You're welcome!  Panko isn't keto, unfortunately.  I know this maybsound gross but a lot of ketoers use crushed plain pork rinds.  You can add your own seasoning to give then"sprinkle" more flavor,  The flavored pork skins are not keto because they usually contain maltodextrin.  Another option might be some buttered and seasoned almond flour sprinkled over the top. 

Super Contributor

Hi POOKY and a wonderful anniversary to you and Maria......How are things in Cranston? I think one of the Big Brother contestants is from Cranston. Do you know him ? Where are you going for dinner.......my vote would be Fish and Chips or real fried clams.  DANKY

Respected Contributor

Good morning everyone.  I'm  confused.  Keybra as the nick name and at the end you wrote danky.  Are you originally from new England that use to be on here like last year? I'm assuming it is you. Everything is good up here .last night was the last night of the feast. Everything went well. This morning the empty field where the rides were looks sad and empty. Brett from big brother from Cranston we do not know. Our choice is chili's restaurant in Warwick. My mil made a big variety of eppitizers bought frozen and baked.plus she made chicken wings,fried artichokes, roasted red peppers, she cooked shrimp for shrimp cocktail, string bean and potato salad, stuffed mushrooms, rice salad, Italia cold cut and cheese platter, meatballs,  and lots more. We didn't get any storms Yestauday. Hope everyone has a great week.

Honored Contributor

We had a wonderful visit with our family who came over yesterday.  Dinner was good and the Keto Peanut Butter Pie was a hit.  It's not something I would necessarily choose, but it was pretty good.  There are two servings left for DH and I to finish off tonight. 

I'm looking forward to one of my go-to salads for lunch today 

Tonight's dinner:

Amylu's Chicken Breakfast Sausage

Spinach, Mushroom, and Gouda Omelets

Keto Blueberry Waffles w/butter and SF Syrup

Respected Contributor

@MOMMAVik , @JeanLouiseFinch    I am not 'keto,' but have been intrigued with reading about chaffles.  Would they make good croutons?  I often crush seasoned croutons for bread crumbs, so would be tempted to try them as topping for this Chicken Parm Casserole.  Or, am I way off base?  

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@IamMrsG wrote:

@MOMMAVik , @JeanLouiseFinch    I am not 'keto,' but have been intrigued with reading about chaffles.  Would they make good croutons?  I often crush seasoned croutons for bread crumbs, so would be tempted to try them as topping for this Chicken Parm Casserole.  Or, am I way off base?  

@IamMrsG  That's a great idea! A traditional chaffle, made with an egg & cheese combo, gets a little crispy, but still chewy - not crispy enough to crush, but could be cut in small pieces. I'm guessing the wonder bread version could perhaps be brushed with some melted butter and seasoned, then baked a little while to dry out and crisp up. That way may be more conducive to crushing. 👍

Respected Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch   Thank you for the explanation as I wasn't even aware there are two versions of chaffles.  My reading has been about the Wonder bread kind.  Will do more reading.  

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

@IamMrsG wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch   Thank you for the explanation as I wasn't even aware there are two versions of chaffles.  My reading has been about the Wonder bread kind.  Will do more reading.  

@IamMrsG You bet!  There's a multitude of ways to make chaffles, starting with a basic recipe but then adding assorted seasonings and so forth, to make them sweet or savory, like a blueberry waffles, cinnamon roll, garlic bread, pizza crust, you name it.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JeanLouiseFinch
@IamMrsG
OMG! I have heard about Chaffles but never had any. Just googled recipes for them ...wow...I am going to make some. I don't have a waffle iron anymore, donated it years ago. But will head out tomorrow to buy one.

DH likes pork skins & I think that is a great suggestion to sub for crispy topping. Will get some of those too.

Thanks, ladies! I am on a mission now!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MOMMAVik wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch
@IamMrsG
OMG! I have heard about Chaffles but never had any. Just googled recipes for them ...wow...I am going to make some. I don't have a waffle iron anymore, donated it years ago. But will head out tomorrow to buy one.

DH likes pork skins & I think that is a great suggestion to sub for crispy topping. Will get some of those too.

Thanks, ladies! I am on a mission now!

@MOMMAVik The Dash mini is just the right size and you get two chaffles per batter recipe, which is a typical serving. The only problem I've found is that making them one at a time is monotonous.  For awhile, I had two minis and used both simultaneously, which was slightly better.  Recently I picked up a larger 4-section Dash at Home Goods for $30.  It makes four small rectangular waffles all at the same time with a double batch of chaffle batter.