Super Contributor

Re: What cast iron cookware brand are you not happy with?

[ Edited ]

I love my Le Creuset. I’ve tried others and they are heavier. You can get pretty good deals at a Le Creuset outlet store. If there isn’t one close by, you can call, see what they have on special, and they will ship. You can also find good deals at Marshall’s, TJ Maxx, or Ross Dress for Less. 

There is supposed to be a Le Creuset TSV on Wednesday, March 6th. Don’t know what it will be. 

Honored Contributor

I saw Martha Stewart's Le Creuset knock offs in Macy's Tuesday, are they any good?

On sale, the price was right $50 for a 6 quart, I almost pulled the trigger.

Almost everything in the Home department was Martha Stewart.    Pretty quilts.

I've never  purchased a new piece of cast iron.   I have hand-me-downs or I buy 2nd hand

Honored Contributor

@software wrote:

I saw Martha Stewart's Le Creuset knock offs in Macy's Tuesday, are they any good?

On sale, the price was right $50 for a 6 quart, I almost pulled the trigger.

Almost everything in the Home department was Martha Stewart.    Pretty quilts.

I've never  purchased a new piece of cast iron.   I have hand-me-downs or I buy 2nd hand

@software  I bet the Martha Stewart pieces would work just fine.  

Honored Contributor

Le Creuset looks very nice. Maybe if I were just starting out, I'd consider it since I would expect it to be a lifetime purchase. At this stage of my life I can't justify the expense, especially since I'm not cooking big meals regularly anymore. Even so, there's something in me that would like a few pieces of enameled cast iron. A few weeks ago I purchased a Pioneer Woman enameled 3 qt. casserole. It's pretty so I let it sit on my stovetop. I've used it a few times and had no problems with anything burning or it being difficult to clean. Going forward, I'd be fine with getting more of the same, Lodge, or Martha Stewart.

Honored Contributor

I have one black cast iron skillet that I have had for 100 yearsCat LOL thats all I need or want. will not spend hundreds of $$ on any one pan ever and besides--they are too darn heavy, chip too easily and the interior discolors. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I wish QVC would offer Lodge products ( which I buy on Amazon)...

Made in USA...Keep OUR people employed!!!

. We don't need imported stuff.

Check them out on Amazon. They last forever. Don't be fooled by the "seasoning" fears...very easy to do. They also have enameled insides AND pre-seasoned.

And they don't cost an arm and a leg because of differences in the exchange rate.!

Esteemed Contributor

I agree with much that has already been said about the well-known brands of cast iron, so I'll just add that I recently purchased Valerie Bertinelli's cast iron braising pot when there was a free shipping event, and I love it: https://www.qvc.com/Valerie-Bertinelli-4qt-Lightweight-Cast-Iron-Chefs-Pot.product.K46650.html?sc=SR...

It is gorgeous, has a great middle-to-large size that is not too shallow, and performs very well. I also like the convenience of having both a glass and a cast iron lid. I have no need for a second one, but whenever I happen across this item in a search, I always have to talk myself out of buying another, even just based on its attractiveness. Thankfully, the yellow option has sold out now, since I had it in my cart on several occasions trying to convince myself that my blue one could be for everyday and the yellow would be great for special events in the spring and summer.  Smiley Wink

I hope Valerie brings more of her enameled cast iron to the Q in the future...

Respected Contributor

Depglass, I have several LC pieces, one CE lightweight dutch oven, two very old non-enameled skillets, and two other skillets, one I love and one I hate.  I bought the Zakarian skillet QVC had on air before the holidays (I think) and it's been wonderful, nothing sticks to it, I can even do paleo pancakes in it.  My DH bought me a Finex skillet, and I seasoned it according to directions, twice, and everything still sticks to it, it sits in the cupboard and will never get used again, and it was VERY expensive cast iron!  So I can certainly recommend Le Creuset and Zakarian, I would guess Staub is good, too, but by no means spend the money on Finex, if you want "plain" cast iron you need to season then buy Lodge, at least  you won't go broke buying it.

Super Contributor

@CamilleP, I agree. I purchased the 12” Geoffrey Zakarian pan, I wish I would have purchased the smaller one, too. It really is non stick. 

Honored Contributor

Just to be clear for those who don't know, Lodge ENAMELED CAST IRON is made in China.  The regular cast iron stuff is made in the US.  They say their China products are made to very specific standards, but they are made in China nonetheless.

I mention this because some posters have stated Lodge is made in the US, but the product we are actually discussing is not.  In the event anyone is looking to buy, I want them to have the correct info.