Super Contributor

What brand of pandcake mix is the best???

thoughts?? just bought a Lodge cast iron griddle and am wondering what brand of mix does everyone use for pancakes and waffles ?? (also have a new waffle iron) I've always used Aunt Jemima mixes (both original and buttermilk) Dont buy the complete because I like the idea of adding milk and eggs.   Has anyone found a brand they prefer? thanks

Respected Contributor

Re: What brand of pandcake mix is the best???

We use Krusteaz and add an egg and oil to make the mix a little richer.  Delicious!

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Occasional Contributor

I usually make my own with this really simple recipe.

Occasional Contributor

I usually make my own with this really simple recipe.  1 C. self-rising flour, 1 egg, 2 Tablespoons sugar, 2 tablespoons veg. oil.  Add milk and stir to desired thickness.  With this, you always know it's fresh.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

If you don't mind measureing pancake batter, this isn't much more and it's SO light, crisp, and good you'll be in heaven girl!  (can be used for light pancakes).

If you don't have a sifter, use a strainer and spoon.

Angle Waffles

2 Cups of sifted flour

4 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp salt

2 tsp sugar

2 eggs, divided into yolks and beaten egg whites

1 3/4 C milk

1/2 C butter, melted

Mix together and sift dry ingriedents.

Add the milk and melted butter.

Beat egg YOLKS and add.

Beat with hand mixer until no lumps.

Fold in beaten egg whites.

Enjoy!  This is an "eye roller"!  My Advanced Foods students loved this one with fresh fruit or whipped cream!

Frequent Contributor

Carbons golden malted waffle and pancake mix. It is available at Amazon and also on their website golden malted.com ( I think that is it).  If not a search should produce it. It is delicious, unlike anything at grocery store. 

Trusted Contributor

Why not mae hmemade?  It is better, cheaper, and really takes no more time than using a mix.  In both cases, you still have to measure out both dry and liquid ingredients; with homemade, you may have to measure out a couple of more items, but you get superior results.

Honored Contributor

We always make it from scratch.  

Honored Contributor

I know you are looking for a mix but I would agree that you can do much better, and it's really easy, to make the batter.

I don't do pancakes but occasionally I like a waffle.  Of course, being always the different one, I don't eat them with all that gross pancake syrup and stuff on them.  I grate some extra sharp cheese and add to the recipe, and I just eat them like I'm holding a piece of bread.

Anyway, maybe some 10 years ago I got this really easy waffle recipe from this board.  It uses Bisquick and club soda with an egg and just a couple other easy, always available type things.   I really like it.  Takes like two minutes to make it up.  By the time my waffle maker is heated up I'm done.  Smiley Happy 

Esteemed Contributor

@pommom wrote:

We use Krusteaz and add an egg and oil to make the mix a little richer.  Delicious!

I make my own or when I am lazy...this is the brand I buy too....