Trusted Contributor

What brand of ham is the least salty?

There's just me, so even if I have company on holidays (my oldest friend), a whole ham is just too much for me, & too expensive. But just today I yet again tried a slice of ham (1 lb for <$4) & I put absolutely nothing on it as I pan fried it, & it was just so salty - had to eat it with eggs at the same time. Is there a brand or type of ham that is more sweet than salty? I can always add a honey mustard type glaze if I want it saltier, but that is never the problem. Or is there a way to treat the ham slice to make it less salty? I presumed rinsing it off with water would not change anything, that the salt permeates the meat. If a particular brand makes sweeter hams, I can look for smaller pieces, I hope.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: What brand of ham is the least salty?

Have you tried Plumrose canned ham? Check it out. They are good.

Honored Contributor

I think they sell low-salt ham, don't they?

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

On 1/9/2015 faeriemoon said:

I have no idea - times I have been at the grocery, the butcher is not there, so I will try to go after 10 am & before 5 pm sometime & ask! Thanks.

Trusted Contributor

On 1/9/2015 Zhills said:

Have you tried Plumrose canned ham? Check it out. They are good.

Didn't know any canned ham was good, but I will look for this too.

Super Contributor

I've heard for years how good the Aldi's spiral-sliced ham is but, until this past Christmas, had never had the opportunity to taste it. It's great! Excellent flavor and not at all salty.

Trusted Contributor

On 1/9/2015 paShar said:

I've heard for years how good the Aldi's spiral-sliced ham is but, until this past Christmas, had never had the opportunity to taste it. It's great! Excellent flavor and not at all salty.

Would love to try spiral ham again (only 1 I had was decade-plus ago, it was given to me), will also look for this. Thanks everyone.

Super Contributor

On 1/9/2015 faeriemoon said:

Yes, we buy low-sodium ham. You might have to look around a little, but it is available. Hillshire farm makes some. I don't know if you are looking for a whole ham or sliced deli. You might also check Whole Foods. We shop there alot.

Some people do drugs. I do shoes....Celine Dion
Respected Contributor

Some of the salt in ham would leach out if you soaked slices in water, but not sure if it would be edible.

Trusted Contributor

There are low sodium hams and bacon out there. Look around your supermarket, and if you don't find it, check with the manager of the meat department or check another store. I know Boar's Head offers low sodium ham, and I'm pretty sure I've seen other brands, too.