Respected Contributor

Re: What are you going to cook this June 2020?

[ Edited ]

Froze last night and this morning and yet they say it could get to 100 by tomorrow or Sunday. Like I often say, weird weather is typical Sou Cal.

Had some pork with gravy, mashed taters and turnip greens - well that is what I called them as a kid. Still do but hard to find out here.

Found a great place that grooms cats as well as dogs. Took Ditty there yesterday and he was a good boy and he has a rash so that is why he is scratching and itching so much. Gold me to get from Walgreens some Bag Balm for his itching. Am hoping that will work, if not completely will have to take him to the Vet. He is really chewing himself. That was made originally for using on the udders of cows - there you go - and so it is very good for animals that may decide to eat some of it and believe ir not. works great for people. So I learned something., They bathed him and cut his monster nails - he has feet like a tiger. LOL. Tomorrow am taking Miss Blackie there to have her nails cut. Wish I had realized this place did cats a lot earlier. By the way the Vets here have stopped cutting nails and providing baths for dogs???? I am pleased as this place only charges $5 for nails - the vet charges $15 for the past year or so.

David is going up to his Dad's tomorrow for Fathers Day. Will take him there after the nails get done . Had a frozen meal earlier - tomorrow may fix myself a hot dog or something like that. Sounds good - depends on how I feel.

Hope all had a great day.

Trusted Contributor

Hi @Winifred !

I hope the drugstore balm works for your cat.  I hate when animals are in pain or suffering.

I love turnip greens also....  kale, collards, mustard, Swiss chardsand cabbage.  I guess I like all green veggies!😊  Do you ever cook your turnip greens with the turnips?  There was a lady who worked for a period of time in my office who prepared CANNED turnip greens for one of our luncheon potlucks and they were absolutely delicious.  I never thought greens out of a can could be doctored up to taste so good. That was many years ago but as I recollect, she also had the root turnips diced in the greens.

Ever hear from Soushi (Bev)?  She posted some great recipes when she was active on this thread.  I had hoped that with the time she needed for grieving the loss of her husband, she might feel up to posting zgain.  I certainly wish her well.

Here in VA where I live, temps dipped a bit most of this week and we have had lots of rain and quite a lingering  thunderstorm today.  But I'm not complaining about not running the a/c or needing to wear a lightweight jacket!  Wishing some great weather will come your way, too, that will be comfortable for you.

Respected Contributor

good evening evening everyone. very hot and humid for the last week. last week we put pool up and we got our acs in and maria put in my mil ac to. maria made chinese chicken fried rice and general Tsos chicken. it was so good. she prepared the chicken in bite size peices and dipped them in beaten egg and then in corn starch and i\ fried them. chicken fried with corn startch was so good. it was the first time she did it that way. really really good. hope everyone has a great week.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Made some red lentil penne pasta last night.  Actually followed the directions on the box this time rather than the way I normally cook regular pasta and it came out really well for the first time.  Amazing how following directions can do that.  Smiley LOL

Add some tomato sauce and shredded romano and I was a happy and healthy Italian last night.    

Honored Contributor

Trucker daughter is home and asked for burger and beans, mac and cheese, chicken wings, and corn muffins.
Respected Contributor

That nasty sticky humidity is back. Temp only 91 today - that in itself is not bad but the stickiness is horrible. Guess summer is really arrived - oh wait a second I think it legally showed up a day or so ago. Sigh.

Cooking has not been a habit of mine lately - Davey got ornery and moved out again - he had best grow up. I need to find where I can get some dependable help and help I can afford. I will manage that. It is so frustrating in that I can do very little anymore - use to do it all. That is very hard for me to deal with.

I did fix a couple of White CAstle burgers for dinner however - those things still taste as good as they did when I was a young one. Ouch.

Hope all had a great day.,

Respected Contributor

@Winifred  I hear you about people growing up,some take a long time and I swear some never do. It sure does get harder to get things done as we get older. I hope you can find some reliable help.

Just having burgers and tater tots tonight.

Hope everyone has a good week-end.

Respected Contributor

good evening everyone. laura14. its funny what you wrote about following directions because a couple of weeks ago we had got seed packs to plant and my mil and me both did it wrong. i told my wife about and she new what we were suposed to do. i told her. if you new why didnt you tell us. she said i figured you both would have read the directions.  and winifred. i get what you mean about what you used to be able to do years ago. i will be 50 in january but i have had multiple scarosis  for 18 years and i can do things but not like years ago. i had to stop working and last year i stopped driving to.  you could use a dependable person or even a young kid to help you do things. when i was in school i had a gym teacher ask me if i would be interested in doing work for his mom. i worked for her and a few other people for like 6 years.today just leftovers. hope everyone has a great safe weekend.

Respected Contributor

Maybe afford for snap or wic low income that may help with food & medical problems not sure. We are so lucky to afford gardeners that come once a month to do our yard desert landscape, Love when they come. Can't rely on family members to help out they don't care.