Honored Contributor

Re: What Was Your First Experience With A Microwave?

My dad brought an Amana Radar Range home in 1968, and mother and I had never heard of it.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

My parents purchased their first microwave in the late 1970s. It was enormous! And it kept working (with a few hiccups now and then) until the early 2000s when it was retired as my parents sold their house. Pretty impressive. And not to jinx myself, but my current microwave just passed its 20-year anniversary and is still going strong; I may upgrade it in the next few years because its wattage is a little low and it's a bit small, but it's a great unit.

Back in the '70s and '80s, a woman in our neighborhood had some affiliation with one of the companies that produced microwaves, and she would conduct microwave cooking classes around the city to show people how to take advantage of all the features of the new machine. My mother was a fantastic cook with a degree and interest in food science and nutrition, so she attended the classes out of curiosity and would frequently try new recipes and techniques for our family. She mainly stuck with traditional cooking on the stovetop, but it's amazing to look back and ponder some of the things she did with a microwave. It definitely wasn't just for reheating and defrosting at the time—it was doing some really interesting cooking. I should revisit some of the early microwave cookbooks my mom still has in her basement to see how those "new" techniques might still work today, especially with more powerful microwave ovens.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Neighbor had an Amana in the late 1960's but MY first one was a Litton, around 1981..I  bought it with money i won on a game show and it was expensive! almost as much as my sony TV at the time! It was a workhorse though..Lasted for over a decade..I finally gave it away cause i wanted one with all the cool features! 

I think the first time I used one was an all stainless steel (no window) Hobart in an Italian restaurant I worked in around 1977..

Honored Contributor

@house_cat Karen, don't you melt butter?  I use mine all the time for leftovers, esp stew, and pot roast and DH makes his iced tea.

Regular Contributor

This reminds me of my Uncle Eddie who loved baked potatoes. After making one in his new microwave he went out and bought a 20 pound bag. Well their apartment was on the second floor and he promptly threw his back out carrying those darn potatoes upstairs. We never let him forget it!

Honored Contributor

@ECBG 

I don’t recall but it was probably using my mom’s microwave. She probably had one before I did.

I rarely use my microwave...can’t remember the last time I used it. 

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Fortunately I had a lot of kitchen counter space back in the late 70s or early 80s when I got my first microwave...the thing was huge. I remember getting a big cookbook with it and I studied those recipes like crazy! I don't remember what I cooked first, but no doubt I followed the recipe book precisely!

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@house_cat Karen, don't you melt butter?  I use mine all the time for leftovers, esp stew, and pot roast and DH makes his iced tea.

I suppose I do from time to time.  I rarely use it, though.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

My aunt bought a new house that came with one. This was in the 70's. We tried to make dinner rolls in it but they came out like rocks. We were clueless really. I'll never forget that.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ECBG In 1978 or 79  my sister and I pitched in to get my parents one for Christmas. It was probably near $500 and it was huge. My mom loved it, probably not a great dad gift...They bought the huge cart for it. I think it lasted 10 years or so and the electronic panel was going. My current (one and only one). was a gift for Christmas in the early 90’s. It is also huge. But it has lasted nearly 30 years.  But I heat something in it every day. Butter, coffee, frozen vegetables, hot water... it holds all my utensil crocks, knife block, can opener and more. 😀😀😀😀. Mine is a Panasonic.  However, it still looks new if you can even imagine that.... I want to say my parents gift was either a Kenmore or an Amana. Can’t remember.