Valued Contributor

Re: What Was Your First Experience With A Microwave?

[ Edited ]

My Sugar daddy got me one in 1979 from Sears and it was HUGE!!!  I don't remember really cooking anything tho.  I didn't know how to cook, period-  That thing was still going into the

90's @ my hubby's biz and I had gone through 2 more by then

Smiley Very HappySmiley Wink

Respected Contributor

My grandparents had one .  It was BIG!  My grandfather worked for GE at the time, so maybe he got a good deal for it.  It fascinated me, but I was afraid to use it.

Frequent Contributor

First one I had was the Amana Radar Range in the late 70's.  The store gave a cooking class with it.  I loved everything about it.  Made oatmeal and scrambled eggs, chicken and rice,  Shake and Bake pork chops, cauliflower, fudge, peanut brittle, toffee.  I've slowed down using a microwave over the years, but still rely on one to steam fresh or frozen vegetables, corn on the cob, baked potatoes once in a while, and I love my Pasta Boat. It's the only way I can make good pasta. 

Valued Contributor

@DeeJoyce wrote:

First one I had was the Amana Radar Range in the late 70's.  The store gave a cooking class with it.  I loved everything about it.  Made oatmeal and scrambled eggs, chicken and rice,  Shake and Bake pork chops, cauliflower, fudge, peanut brittle, toffee.  I've slowed down using a microwave over the years, but still rely on one to steam fresh or frozen vegetables, corn on the cob, baked potatoes once in a while, and I love my Pasta Boat. It's the only way I can make good pasta. 

I use mine alot like you do, and for Sure about the Pasta!Smiley Very Happy

Trusted Contributor

First experience was in the late 70’s at my sister’s with her Amanda Radar Range. She had fun demonstrating. My first microwave was a countertop Quaser in 1984 - (huge box!)had  it the best sensor cooking I’ve ever had - loved that microwave.  Unfortunately, after one of my husband’s transfers, it never worked the same so, I only had it about 10 years. 

Frequent Contributor

in the early 80's a co worker was moving and sold it to me for $75. I gave it to my mother and she was delighted. First thing we did was to mic a cup of cold water  for a cup of tea.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

We got our first one when my son was born in 1984 - huge countertop model from JCP. I remember marveling that it could cook a hot dog in a minute, but I can't remember the last time I ever ate a hot dog, lol.

I've never really used mine for cooking. It just didn't interest me.  My dad, on the other hand, became a microwave wizard.  He was so fascinated by it until the day he died. I'm not sure why.

Ours just died last week.  The only reason I agreed to replace it is because it's above our stove and I didn't want a dead appliance sitting there. DH uses it for reheating his coffee and my son uses it for reheating leftovers. Otherwise, I could easily live without it.

~ house cat ~
Trusted Contributor

@ECBG  My gramma bought us one in the early 80's, it was a Westinghouse and it was one big microwave.  That microwave lasted for many years, even though it was huge it was quality !!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Back in the early '70s my dad bought a Litton. It was big, extremely heavy and had a tiny interior. The first Easter my dad put a carton of eggs in it and made a mess. That scared my mom so much that she refused to use it. Eventually it got used mostly to boil water for instant coffee. 

Years later, in 1987, my mom bought another microwave oven...Amana Touchmatic, made in the U.S.A. The 32yo thing still sits on my counter today and works every bit as good as the day she bought it.

Because that old Amana has proved to me to be a good brand, I have since bought other Amana major appliances for my home and have been very pleased with all of them. They are one of the few companies who make simple, no-frills appliances at decent prices. They are owned by Whirlpool.

Respected Contributor

We bought our first one in the 90's I believe. My mother bought one in the 80's (? I think) . It was huge and awkward she hated it and sold it.

I was anxious to try melted cheese for nachos as I had some at a friends and loved it and the speed. That was the first thing I tried , but too soon out , immediately burning my tongue !Smiley Tongue not too bright.

I feel it is essential to our kitchen. It is especially helpful when there are differing mealtimes in the household. I remember trying to keep food warm without burning when my husband worked overtime. Also as I grow older or any age when cook is distracted it shuts off by itself.