Honored Contributor

What Was Your First Experience With A Microwave?

Can you remember the first time you used a microwave?

I was at work and tried to warm some sausage balls from the fridge. I used minutes and not seconds! They smelled to high heaven! (And were burned in the center!!!!!).Smiley Happy
Esteemed Contributor

Re: What Was Your First Experience With A Microwave?

My Dad wanted to buy one for Mom, but it was so expensive he asked me to chip in.  I did.  He bought it from Osco. It was huge!

we were the first ones to have microwave, apple computer and pong!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

When I was attending university, I put a dozen uncooked eggs in the microwave.  To make hard boiled eggs.  They exploded and made a mess.

Honored Contributor

I was the first person i knew who got one.  I got it for Christmas in mid '70s.  It was a whopping 450 watts and cost about $400.  My bil who was visiting took a shine to it and spent all of Christmas morning trying to make eggs for the family.  All he made was a big mess.  Now i know cooking eggs is one of the trickier things to cook in the microwave.  Not for beginners.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I do remember going to shop for my first microwave at a local appliance shop.  As I checked out a few of the larger units, the owner came over and asked me a few questions.  His advice -  buy small -  you'll only use it to soften your Hagen-Daz!  

Respected Contributor

I was across the street at my friends house and my dad called me home telling me he was going to show me how to cook and egg in 1 minute. Well he did. We had the first microwave on the block. 

Honored Contributor

For years I never wanted want and were sure they were evil and dangerous.

At work I put in a bagel and it tuned out like a car tire.

Then when we finally got one, I find I can't live without one (as so many things we think).

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

We had one in our family restaurant.  I don't remember my first time using it, but I am not a big fan of microwave ovens.

I use mine for defrosting meat in a hurry, and softening brown sugar, but not much more.

Super Contributor

My first microwave was bought by my husband and baby daughter in 1985.  He took her Christmas shopping for a gift for me and bought me a full size microwave/convection oven with a J.C. Penny nameplate on the front.  I still have it, use it everyday.  We put an over-the-range microwave in when we remodeled our kitchen but I rarely use it, preferring my oldie. 

Trusted Contributor

I was a kid when we got our first one. I promptly caught a potato on fire. Took us forever to get that smell out of the house. Smiley Happy