Trusted Contributor

Re: What Was Your Favorite Meal As A Child?

Our babysitter would give my brother and I Cambells Chicken Noodle soup for lunch.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ECBG Great story! You should write a book about her with recipes. My favorite dinner was mom's anything with fresh from the garden veggies. Mom would get the pot on the stove before picking the corn, then just cook it for 4 minutes. We had tons of asparagus growing down by the blueberries. Beginning before Easter, I would walk the asparagus bed looking for the little heads popping through the ground. Mom believed in getting food to the table as soon as possible after it was picked. No canning - except for peaches. Everything else was frozen for the winter.  She was all about farm to table before it was fashionable.

Honored Contributor

My mother was a wonderful cook.  We had BIG homemade Sunday dinners every week and full homemade dinners every week day...cooked by mother then by me when I was around 12 or so.

I cook like my mom and learned just by watching her.  Sunday dinner was usually roast capons or roast beef and always homemade pasta and meatballs, pork and chicken cooked in the sauce no matter what the main entree was.

What I miss the most is my mother's potato salad.  I have tried to make it for over 45 years  and it has never come out like hers....it's missing her magic.

When I was a child I always asked for ham, cabbage and potatoes for my birthday dinner.  I loved it, but I think I got a great satisfaction watching my siblings gag.  They hated it.

My mother always served it with warm homemade Italian bread spread with butter and grape jelly for dipping in the juice...Yum.

Honored Contributor

It's a hard choice but I will choose beef and homemade noodles with mashed potatoes and green beans from the garden with bacon.

Honored Contributor

My mother cooked simple easy foods that most kids would not turn their nose up at. Spaghetti with meat sauce, a one pot dish with round steak and veggies that we called potatoes and peas.

,fried potato cakes that my Dad called platskies. She made great rice pudding and at Easter made a cold dessert she called Heaven, that was to die for.LOL Mom also made a really good German potato salad that she made when she baked a ham. Most everything was my favorite.

Trusted Contributor

Hands down, homemade dumplings with gravy, green beans with fried breadcrumbs, stuffed artichokes and warm apple streudal.

Honored Contributor

Taco Bell.

Valued Contributor

Round steak and mashed potatoes with pan gravy. Also my father could grow anything in the garden and we always had really good fresh vegetable soup. He also made fried chicken every Sunday. 

Honored Contributor

I loved cabbage rolls and perogies and a side of corn on the cob

Contributor

My mom was a great cook.  Growing up in a Southern California beach town in the 70's as a kid, here's hands down my most favorite dishes as a child:

1. Cheese enchiladas with authentic Spanish rice and refried beans
  2. Beef stroganoff
  3. Tuna casserole
  4. Home made New England style clam chowder with fresh clams my dad and grandpa caught

Nothing fancy, but super delicious!