Honored Contributor

What Was Your Favorite Meal As A Child?

I loved to go to my dad's parents for a "Sunday" dinner.  I don't remember many.  Her housekeeper, whom raised my dad and uncle was an amazing cook whom I sat with as an adult and wrote my favorite recipies!

She made a wonderful fried chicken with a very deep brown gravy for her wonderful mashed potatoes.  When she did homemade green beans, there was always beautiful red sliced tomatoes.  I guess we had homemade biscuits.

Her other wonderful recipe was the fantastic mushroom meatloaf which I did in hamburger patties on top of the range as a mom trying to feed two little boys and DH while working.

She moved from the south to Detroit but her heart remained here.  Unfortunately, she never moved back.I LOVED that woman.  She taught me how to be a strong woman.

Honored Contributor

Re: What Was Your Favorite Meal As A Child?

Fish, baked or fried, and watermelon. 

Honored Contributor

Meatloaf and my mom's mashed potatoes.

I also loved spaghetti.

My mom was not a great cook, she was a better baker.

Honored Contributor

My mother wasn’t a good cook, though she tried. My taste’s were simple, favorite meal was fish sticks and cheese ravioli with jarred Ragu sauce. My mother would give us milk with this meal ( I hated milk and the milk didn’t mix well with the sauce)!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Mom’s meatloaf, salmon patties, spaghetti.

My mom could cook well.

Esteemed Contributor

potato pancakes! with sour cream

Honored Contributor

hamburgers, hot dogs, and spaghetti. 

Trusted Contributor

When I was a kid, I looked forward to going to my Uncle Paul and Aunt Marie’s home for Sunday dinner. Uncle Paul was first generation Italian American and was an excellent cook. I remember having spaghetti there (among other delicious Italian entrees) and that the meatballs were as big as my fist. Granted, my fist was a tad smaller then but they were the biggest meatballs I had ever seen.

At home, my favorite meal was Thanksgiving dinner. The scents of turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, pumpkin pie, the whole works wafting through the air was a sensory overload of deliciousness. As for everyday, definitely meatloaf and mashed potatoes. 

Honored Contributor

The only time my mother cooked was for us kids birthdays.  She fixed whatever we wanted.

My birthday "favorite" meal:  Smothered fried chicken or smothered fried pork chops, collards w/salt pork & creamy mash potatos w/gravy from scratch. 

My father did all the cooking.  Our birthdays were the only times he had "off" from cooking. Smiley LOL

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

Steak, green salad and baked potato.  It’s still my favorite!