Honored Contributor

Re: What Was Your Favorite Dessert Your Grandmother/Aunt Made?

@On It,

I'm afraid of pressure cookers too!

My mother had one and though we never had an awful beet incident, I'm glad no one has one anymore, at least anyone I know!😬

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

My maternal Grandmother made gingerbread with hard sauce that I loved.  She also made whole orange cake (she ground up the whole oranges).  

My maternal Grandfather made the best apple pie served warm with slices of sharp cheddar cheese.  

They had owned an upscale supper club that they lost (along with their house) during the depression.  

Respected Contributor

My only grandmother made what she called a 'potato cake'.. It was basically a white cake with cocoa powder, spices like cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, chopped pecans and a cup of mashed potatoes.  OMG, it was the best thing ever.  

Second in line was my aunts coconut cake.  Wow, it was good.  I miss both them and their cakes.  

Honored Contributor

@Bridgegal 

The potato cake you're referring to is known as a Potato Caramel cake.   My mom made the cake often using a tube pan, and covered it with warm caramel sugar glaze.   

Respected Contributor

Traditional frosted cut-out cookies!

Honored Contributor

Growing up at Easter my mom was given lamb pound cakes with icing and all the works.  Shredded coconut for grass (green dye), with jelly beans and colored eggs.  We always had two lambs.

When I was in my early teens my Aunt made minature donuts with all kinds of different frostings and toppings and they were so good.

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

@RedTop 

My grandmother put a butter cream frosting on hers.  

Respected Contributor

@ECBG Great question!  From my mother....cream puffs.

From one grandmother.... Struffoli.

From my other grandmother.... Ricotta cheesecake.

❤❤❤

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread
Respected Contributor

My grandmother,who was born in 1895, was a "health nut" before her time.  Never smoked or drank, ate sparingly, walked for exercise and didn't eat sweets.  The only sweets she ever had were lady fingers or a Pepperidge Farms Cake at a birthday.  She was a wonderful lady and so nourishing in so many ways but not with sweets!

Honored Contributor

@Pooky1 wrote:

Thank you ecbg. I have her frosting recipe and the chocolate cake I use a recipe from my hersheys cook book. 

@Pooky1 

I'm so pleased for you.  Enjoy!Smiley Happy