Esteemed Contributor

Re: What Was Your Favorite Dessert Your Grandmother/Aunt Made?

Don't remember any particular desserts that my Grandmothers made but my career Mom,in the 1950s, who didn't cook a lot or well, made the best Floating Island.  Meringue islands floating on a runny custard base.  Yum!

Honored Contributor

My maternal, or Sunday School teacher grandmother was about half the cook of my farm grandmother; neither of them spent much time making desserts, other than fried apple pies.

Sunday School grandmother made great fried chicken, potato salad, and candied yams.   Those were the 3 foods she always made for church dinners.   I have her potato salad bowl, which held 10 lbs of cooked potatoes and the other ingredients for her tasty potato salad, which always had to be finished with sliced eggs sprinkled with paprika.   

My farm grandma was making biscuits in a sheet pan, for 7 people every day when she was 8 years old.   I loved to watch her make biscuits; she always seemed to stir the same number of times, knead the dough the same number of times, that biscuit cutter went so fast in her hands, and she'd fill that sheet pan completely full every morning!  I was fascinated at how she never measured any of the ingredients and never had an empty space in the pan.  I'd like to have a dollar for every one of Grandma's biscuits I ate in the 14 years I had with her; biscuits with the butter she churned, the jams and jellies she canned, the orchard fruit she stewed, and of course the meat biscuits of bacon, sausage, ham, pork chops, or venison tenderloin.   

If I could have another visit with Grandma, I'd like to walk into the farm kitchen, grab a leftover biscuit and breakfast meat from the warming shelf on her wood fired cookstove, sit down at the table and talk while she churned.   

Honored Contributor

My grandma was the best pie maker, I still can taste her blackberry pie. 🥰

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

Apple Dumplings

Honored Contributor

@jeanlake wrote:

Southern women. My birthday cake request from mom was buttermilk pie or banana pudding. My grandmother, near Lake Lure in NC, made the best strawberry shortcake (biscuits) with hand-cranked vanilla ice cream. The aunt from Robbinsville, NC -- always pecan pie. 

@jeanlake 

I have heard of your buttermilk pie, but never had one.

Where, may I ask did you grow up?

DH often works with the Chimney's computers.  All of the animals we foster (who love people) go to the chimney with the lady that works with animals to live after we get them to a good size.

I live about 40 minutes away.Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I loved my grandma's Sunshine Orange Cake..........until I found out it had about 4 cups of sugar in it.......

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Frequent Contributor

My southern Grandmom made a lemon pound cake every Friday- she had an oversized loaf pan- huge slices-Yum!. I can still remember waking up on Sat morning to the scent .

Also her Banana Pudding was the best!

My N.J. Grandma made Apple Brown Betty. I just love the name. We had it warm with Vanilla ice cream.

Thanks for the subject- Memories are sweet!!

Honored Contributor

@RINNI,

My other grandmother made apple brown betty too! aww!Heart

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Super Contributor

Lemon meringue pie,🥚🍋!

Trusted Contributor

Aunt Midge - Strufli

Aunt Mary - Lemon Cake

Aunt Mary #2 - Blueberry Buckle

(I had 5 Aunt Marys)

Mom - I loved everything she made us for dessert!  But...Lemon Meringue Pie!