Respected Contributor

Re: What Was Your Favorite Dessert Your Grandmother/Aunt Made?

My gramma made the.best blueberry pie ever!!

After all these years, no matter what good bakery I have tried,

only one has even remotely come close to hers.

To this day, I can still remember going to their house and smelling 

her freshly baked blueberry pie ... ha, I must have been drooling, because

it never did take her but a few minutes after getting there to cut me a huge piece!

-Texas Hill Country-
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you ecbg. I have her frosting recipe and the chocolate cake I use a recipe from my hersheys cook book. 

Honored Contributor

Unfortunately--I only got to see my fraternal grandma once in my life--and my moms mom just a couple times--we lived in WA state and all my relatives were in New York but I have a chocolate wacky cake recipe, she made and my aunt used in her restaurant in PA. that is my go to cake.

Respected Contributor

Apple pie, with the best, flakiest crust.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@chickenbutt wrote:

I never had a grandmother, aunt, or any relatives of that level, so I was just curious as to what kind of recipes those would be.   This has been interesting!  Smiley Happy

As it will turn out, all my recipes began and will end with me.

@chickenbutt Wait a minute!  Didn't you adopt me?  Woman Frustrated

Heart

Honored Contributor

@on the bay 

My Grandmothers also cooked without recipes, they used smell, and touch.  I remember hearing work the dough until it ‘feels right’.

Yes, corn pone, squash casserole, cooked greens, fried okra,

canned fruits and veggies.

Good memories!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@on the bay 

My Grandmothers also cooked without recipes, they used smell, and touch.  I remember hearing work the dough until it ‘feels right’.

Yes, corn pone, squash casserole, cooked greens, fried okra,

canned fruits and veggies.

Good memories!

That is exactly what my grandmother said when helping me make her yeast rolls. They had to show you how to make something. As for the canned fruits and veggies we grandchildren were on shelling or shucking duty. She never let anyone near her pressure cooker. I can still remember hearing the sound the cooling jars made when they sealed.

Honored Contributor

@On It 

Of course Grandma was right, too!

Will never forget the time her pressure cooker gasket blew while cooking beets, Beets everywhere, walls, floor, ceiling!

She didn’t even stop to look at it, went flying through her home calling my name, ‘till she found me outside.  I hadn’t been near, but her first worry was that I had been burned!

To this day, I give pressure cookers, lots of space.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

I wonder how they would react to an Instapot. I use mine often and love it, but every time I release the steam I think of her.

Respected Contributor

@Drythe 

My Grandma, actually my step Grandma was the only Grandma I ever knew. She was from my mom's side. She was the best cook and baker I ever knew. She owned a few restaurants during her life, but she always had time to make family dinners, Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas. She was known for her pies. The crust was always flaky-( she always used lard). She always made several pies during holidays, but my most favorite was peach with peach ice cream. She didn't use recipes either. Everything was always done by feel and sight. She could whip up those pies in no time. Apple, blue berry, cherry, lemon meringue, sour cream raisin and mincemeat and my other most favorite was banana cream. 

Thanks for bringing this memory to all of us.