Super Contributor

Re: What Was Your Favorite Dessert Your Grandmother/Aunt Made?

Rice pudding

Honored Contributor

Had one living grandma and wouldn't touch anything she cooked.

My aunt made a banana nut cake that was out of this world! Another made a Pavlova with  fruit and sweetened cream filling.

Respected Contributor

Coconut cake. My grandmother bought a coconut and shredded the coconut fresh on the day she baked. Her layers were cut horizontally to make several. She alternated a pineapple filling with her white icing that contained coconut every other layer until she got to the top. The whole cake was then iced and covered with that fresh coconut. She was on a farm in middle America. Too bad she didn't have access to Hawaii.

Respected Contributor

Chess pie

Esteemed Contributor

Grandpa loved fruit pies, so Grandma made one about every other day. They were farmers and she had to feed not only grandpa, but also the hired hands during the planting and harvest seasons. Her apple pies and rhubarb pies were the best....she was an amazing cook! My grandmother was not much of a cook, but she made tapioca pudding for me with the big pearl tapioca whenever I stayed with her and grandfather - my favorite for sure!

Esteemed Contributor

My grandmother on my mom's side was known for her homemade butterscotch pie. She passed away when I was 9 or 10 and I don't even remember ever eating it but I've heard about it all my life from various family members. Sadly, nobody has the recipe for it.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

My grandma made an apple cake that I loved. I had the recipe but lost it which is probably a good thing lol. It was a huge bundt type cake with apples, brown sugar, cinnamon and walnuts in it. It may not sound good but it was so moist and purely delicious. We usually only had it once a year at Thanksgiving.

Esteemed Contributor

My mother is the EXCELLENT cook and baker in our family, but did NOT inherit her flare for effortlessly turning out delectable desserts from my southern grandmother!😁 My grandmother did however, make the  BEST homemade french vanilla ice cream that was so welcome on hot summer nights, while on vacation. That was a comforting memory just now.😊

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Honored Contributor

@SandySparkles wrote:

My mother is the EXCELLENT cook and baker in our family, but did NOT inherit her flare for effortlessly turning out delectable desserts from my southern grandmother!😁 My grandmother did however, make the  BEST homemade french vanilla ice cream that was so welcome on hot summer nights, while on vacation. That was a comforting memory just now.😊

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

@SandySparkles 

So very nice to see you!  Please stay close to 'Outfit Of" so we can talk.Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I never had a grandmother, aunt, or any relatives of that level, so I was just curious as to what kind of recipes those would be.   This has been interesting!  Smiley Happy

As it will turn out, all my recipes began and will end with me.