Honored Contributor

Re: What Was Your Favorite Dessert Your Grandmother/Aunt Made?

Checkerboard cake always intrigued me. Usually red and white. I still have the insert she used when pouring the batter.

Regular Contributor

My Grandma's butterscotch pie!!  Oh my goodness, it was so delicious!  I wish I had the recipe.  We lived in Calfornia and Grandma lived in Indiana, whenever she came to visit she would make it.  Her name was Flora Pearl and she went by Pearl.  Miss her!Heart

GET RICH...........Count Your Blessings!
Regular Contributor

No doubt it was my Grammie's molasses cookies. She didn't have a recipe & I've never had any since that measure up!

Respected Contributor

My Grandmother made this nut bread (walnuts).  Very, very thin layers of dough.  I remember her using this tiny glass jar thing with a handle on top to crush the nuts.  She'd make several.  It was labor intensive and time consuming.  We have the recipe, old and faded, but it's never come out as good as hers.  I think she had little tricks like heating the milk....which the tricks weren't written down.

Contributor

My grandmother was German/Hungarian.  She made absolutely the best homemade apple strudel!  When I was in my 20's I wanted to learn how she made my favorite dessert.  She made the dough from scratch, stretched it over a tablecloth, added apples, then to roll the thin dough, she pulled the tablecloth towards her and rolled the strudel.  I had no idea how much work was involved and it was a labor of love.  She shared this story with me. She was looking for work, either it was in Germany or Austria and I believe it was wartime, and saw a sign at a restaurant looking for someone to make strudel. The manager asked her to make one apple and the other cheese (traditonally, farmer's cheese) and after tasting both she was hired. I myself have never made her strudel and I do miss it.  She also made a wonderful 4 layer walnut cake with chocolate buttercream frosting.  This was always my birthday cake!  Fond memories of my Oma!

Honored Contributor

@SXMGirl wrote:

I am enjoying reading about all of the delicious desserts.   My grandmother had a few specialties.  She would make a 12-layer cake, with each layer being baked on a griddle and put into the oven.  Her icings were either chocolate on each layer or orange on eacy layer.  I have no idea how she did the orange because I do not remember ever seeing enough oranges to make this cake.   It took a while to make these cakes but so worth it.  She also made banana pudding.

@SXMGirl 

Very interesting.  I wonder if she used orange marmalade and added things.  There is orange flavoring, like vanilla.

Respected Contributor

My grandmother made Apple Dump Cake with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream on the side. She made mocha frosting - chocolate with coffee - to put on her banana cakes in the 1970's, long before mocha became popular.

Esteemed Contributor

@ECBG  My grandmother was very poor and I never saw any type of seasonings except salt,  pepper, and hot sauce (she grew her peppers and added vinegar).  I really wish that I had paid attention when she did the baking.  She was like most people of her time who lived in a very poor area and she made due with what she had.  I know that when she did the orange cake, she did have a few oranges, but I would think that it would have been much more than I remember.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm not from a dessert family.  Neither one of my grandmothers, both excellent cooks, really made desserts.  My father's mother did on occasion make cherry biscotti.  

My mother would make a dessert once in a while, but nothing spectacular that stands out in my mind.

Honored Contributor

@SXMGirl wrote:

@ECBG  My grandmother was very poor and I never saw any type of seasonings except salt,  pepper, and hot sauce (she grew her peppers and added vinegar).  I really wish that I had paid attention when she did the baking.  She was like most people of her time who lived in a very poor area and she made due with what she had.  I know that when she did the orange cake, she did have a few oranges, but I would think that it would have been much more than I remember.

@SXMGirl 

Beautiful memories.  I'll bet she juiced the oranges and used the orange zest.  That would provide a lot of flavor.Smiley Happy