Honored Contributor

Re: What Was Your Favorite Dessert Your Grandmother/Aunt Made?

Whipped cream in chocolate wafers frozen. My brothers and I LOVED them! Never had them since.

"Pure Michigan"
Trusted Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

Whom ever was the significant older woman in your life, what wonderful dessert did she make for you?

One grandmother loved to bake.  She made a wonderful yellow cake with homemade caramel icing.   

@ECBG    My mom made a fabulous lemon chiffon pie.  

Respected Contributor

My maternal grandmother was a wonderful cook but I don't remember her being known for her desserts.  My paternal grandmother wasn't a big dessert maker either but she baked the most delicious bread. I am the big dessert maker in my family.

Honored Contributor

My gramma could cut a pie into 7 equal pieces without batting an eye.  7 grandkids.  It has been a decades long joke in our family.  Gramma baked a lot and we loved everything.

Honored Contributor

Struffoli and sfogliatelle. 

Trusted Contributor

My Nana, who would be 126 now, made Red Velvet cake...from scratch of course. She also made a mean peach cobbler. 

Super Contributor

My Nana, my paternal grandma made cherry pie and we made sugar cookies together.  Nana also made butterscotch pie with meringue topping for my Dad.   As a kid, when staying with her on the weekends we made the sugar cookies together, using a glass to cut out the round cookies.  Such good memories!

Respected Contributor

@ECBG Gramma's apple pie was renowned in our small town.  If you were ill or had lost a loved one or were celebrating, you would find the local pie delivered by one of her childen and/or grandchildren.  She had a collection of pie plates, but she confessed that she was running low since some towners have not returned the pie plates,  So, unbeknown  to her, we put an ad in the local paper to return all pie plates to gramma and signed the ad "the pie plate liberation army."  The next birthday celebration at Gramma's house she reported that she didn't understand it but several townspeople were returning pie plates to her, some even purchased and sent new pie plates.  You know she said, the priest returned three.  We never let her know of the ad.  Since her passing we have all tried our hand at making the pie.  She taught several of us how to make the pie and kindly shared her recipe with anyone interested.  The only one closest to the original was one of her grandaughters.

Esteemed Contributor

my nana's paklava....armenian baklava....spelled with a 'p.'.....

Esteemed Contributor

I am enjoying reading about all of the delicious desserts.   My grandmother had a few specialties.  She would make a 12-layer cake, with each layer being baked on a griddle and put into the oven.  Her icings were either chocolate on each layer or orange on eacy layer.  I have no idea how she did the orange because I do not remember ever seeing enough oranges to make this cake.   It took a while to make these cakes but so worth it.  She also made banana pudding.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!