Honored Contributor

What Was Your Favorite Birthday Cake Growing Up?

I always asked for the same thing from our large hometown bakery.

Chocolate (two layer) cake, white icing, blue roses.

Honored Contributor

Re: What Was Your Favorite Birthday Cake Growing Up?

If cakes were made, good old mom did it.  We didn't do parties, or make a big deal out of it. Not that I recall.  I don't recall ever having a party.  Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

Trusted Contributor

I was born on Halloween so I always received (and wanted) a Halloween themed cake. Yellow cake with chocolate icing and lots of "spooky" decorations. 

Honored Contributor

@FlyersGirl wrote:

I was born on Halloween so I always received (and wanted) a Halloween themed cake. Yellow cake with chocolate icing and lots of "spooky" decorations. 

@FlyersGirl HOW unique!!!!!

Honored Contributor

@ECBG -

What a lovely post!

@qualitygal -that is so sad!

Here are mine-

coconut cake.

and my aunt always made us a white cake with all kinds of different colored specks in the cake! I think it was angel food. I always thought that was the most amazing thing.

Now, it is my daughters white cupcakes with white frosting. She is such a great gourmet cook but these are made from box and the icing from the canWoman Very Happy And that is just the way I like it! No fru fru ingredients or fluff or designer things, just give me icing from the can and the cake from the box lol!

I don't know why. 

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

Triple Chocolate Cake Recipe | Sally's Baking Addiction

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My folks probably convinced me that Halloween was my treat day.  (10 days later). LOL

Back to add:  mom made cupcakes and the whole class shared that for birthdays.  I almost forgot that.  LOL

Esteemed Contributor

@FlyersGirl wrote:

my favorite day of the year!  i'm so envious!!

Honored Contributor

Well, my go-to cake was always Carrot Cake ... or German Chocolate .... more for the coconut frosting than the chocolate.  

However, somewhere along the way, I had a piece of a Boston Cream Pie cake ....  yellow with good quality pudding and a chocolate frosting .....  and I had a few of those, too.

I liked the idea of taking a week or so to decide what the upcoming cake would be.  It was a big decision for me.    Woman LOL

Always with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, of course.

Mask   Mask   Mask
Respected Contributor

Mom always made the birthday cakes.  Didn't matter what flavor of cake as long as it had her buttercream frosting on it.