Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Re: What Was Your Favorite Birthday Cake Growing Up?

five-minute-angel-toffee-cake-by-sweet-cs-designs1.jpgI add hot fudge sauce in the whip and drizzle on top to Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@Travone I love buttercreme frosting. When I was young, a boy in my class, his Mother baked cakes alot, so she used the left over frosting to frost between 2 gramcrakers and he shared them with me. Only thing the colors were extremely dark , but delicious still I never forgot, that as you can see.Maybe she taught cake decorating classes.

Trusted Contributor

@ECBGYellow layer cake with strwberry filling and vanilla buttercream frosting !!!  Great times and memories.

Honored Contributor

@hayseed00 wrote:

@ECBGYellow layer cake with strwberry filling and vanilla buttercream frosting !!!  Great times and memories.

@hayseed00 Mmmmmmm..........mm!!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

I don't actually remember being asked what cake I wanted.  Always had one which was a white cake/vanilla frosting which was fine with me.  I'm not much of a cake eater but that would have probably been my choice anyway.  Even now with all the birthday parties I go to for nieces/nephews (and now great), I never eat the cake or ice cream.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Respected Contributor

Carvel ice cream cake.  My last cake, that I remember, had Wilma Flinstone on it.  

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I too was never asked what I would like.  The standard cake was a 9x13 chocolate (off the hershey can) with white frosting.  We did get to choose the color for the decoration on the white frosting! Like someone else said we had the cake afer dinner got a gift and that was the celebration. I can recall looking into the bakery windows when we went downtown and dreamed of one of those store bought cakes.  I had two cousins one who shared my birthday and one a couple of days later.  They always celebrated their birthday together with a gorgeous store bought cake.  I can still recall how I felt.  Funny, when talking to them now that is my one memory that I cannot forget.  I don't know if the "homeade" cake was out of frugality or love.  Will never know, mom died when I was 10.

To this day, I will soon be 66 I occasionally tell dh I want a cake this year and he will stop and pick up one at the bakery.

Respected Contributor

Yellow cake with (box) with homemade chocolate icing. Asked every year, this was always my answer. I also received cherry heart candies as part of my gift. One childhood Birthday party, I think 6 school friends. Hot dogs, kool aid and cake. Great memories!!! My mom also made our favorite dinner. My choice was lasagna.
Honored Contributor

@azgal wrote:

It was an icebox cake  made with graham crackers spread with  cream whipped with Ghirardelli cocoa. 

I far as I know it was my grandmother's recipe. It's now four generations that love it for a birthday cake. Sometimes they choose something else but most of the time the family wants this.

@azgal 

Sorry, but I'm not sure what you mean .... is an "ice box cake" something that went in the freezer .... or something else?   I've never heard of this before.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@azgal wrote:

It was an icebox cake  made with graham crackers spread with  cream whipped with Ghirardelli cocoa. 

I far as I know it was my grandmother's recipe. It's now four generations that love it for a birthday cake. Sometimes they choose something else but most of the time the family wants this.

@azgal 

Sorry, but I'm not sure what you mean .... is an "ice box cake" something that went in the freezer .... or something else?   I've never heard of this before.

They are very good and usually made out of anything from cool whip and graham crackers to cake and ice cream held in the freezer before serving.

Easy No Bake Cookies and Cream Oreo Icebox Cake - The Busy Baker

Oreo ice box cake.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."