Respected Contributor

Re: What Was Your Favorite Birthday Cake Growing Up?

A special treat for me was the Baskin Robbins ice cream cake of Rocky Road and Pralines'n Cream.

So ultra delicious that I hated to share!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I enjoy reading everyone's cake memories!  Our Moms would be quite happy to know they made such a good memory for us.  ❤️ 

Esteemed Contributor

My favorite birthday cake was a chocolate butter mallow cake my mother would make every few years for my birthday. As much as I loved that cake, I have yet to make it for myself-I hadn't thought about it in years. I think I'll make it a point to find a recipe and make one soon. I would ask her, but she is a cook that uses a "pinch" of this and a "coffee cup" of that.That was a nice memory.😊

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jeanlake wrote:

Triple Chocolate Cake Recipe | Sally's Baking Addiction

That looks delish!!! All I need is a fork and a tall, ice cold glass of vanilla soy milk.😁

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Honored Contributor

Chocolate sheet cake with butter cream frosting from the bakery still up and running in our town since 1948.  Poor Mom would get me one and then turn around a couple of weeks later and get my little brother one for his birthday.  I would imagine she was ready for some brownies by the time the two sheet cakes finally disappeared.  Did not have to get another one until August for my little sister's birthday.  Now I buy things there for my two grandchildren.

The designs are different now from the 60's and 70's but size and taste are the same.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Starpolisher wrote:

@qualitygal 

My mom always got each of us a bakery cake. My favorite was yellow with lemon filling and buttercream frosting and pink roses.My parents didn't make a big deal out of our birthdays. We never had a party. Even though I know I had one for my first birthday. We got a gift, had cake for dessert. Just the five of us. I was happy! Didn't  even get asked what we wanted for dinner. My mom had her first birthday party at age 85 when I gave it to her. My dad never had one. They both said they grew up poor, during the depression and it was never made into a big deal. I never thought of it as sad or missing anything. I never thought much about it until I was an adult and people said things like, "That's  sad."

@lovesrecess post reminded me that we had an elderly, widower, neighbor who shared my birthday. He always made me a devil's food cake with meringue icing.  As a little girl, I remember thinking how strange the name "devils food" was. The icing was sweet with stiff peaks and pure white. I used to think, devil's food" with  "Angel's wings". I really loved that cake

Thanks @lovesrecess  your mention of this cake reminded me of that sweet memory from so long ago! And Thank you, Mr. Freddy!🎂

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Honored Contributor

I don't recall any birthday cakes as a kid---but as an adult, I do remember 2----one was a pineapple upside down cake---yuk, and another a few years ago was a carrot cake with raisins in it,  double yuk.  but as they were given to me by friends, I did eat as much as I could but, threw them both away as soon as I could. Not my faves-----

Valued Contributor

What a fun post -- a trip down memory lane. My favorite, the one I always got was a white angelfood with thick, creamy frosting and icing roses. I ate it happilyl, including a big sweet rose. Of course, I was a fat kid back then. Now I'm content with angelfood and some whipped cream and strawberries.

Respected Contributor

My favorite since I can remember is devil's food cake. It didn't matter what kind of icing was on it because I would scrape it off and just eat the cake with vanilla ice cream...yum!

Honored Contributor

@jeanlake wrote:

Triple Chocolate Cake Recipe | Sally's Baking Addiction

@jeanlake 

That is one gorgeous chocolate cake. 

I can always tell whether I even want to taste it, and this one calls out to be devoured.

That being said, I used to always want a strawberry shortcake (with a biscuit base, not sponge), but these days would prefer a "real" cake-type cake, much like your chocolate cake.

I found the recipe at Sally's Baking Addiction (triple chocolate layer cake). I am impressed by the specificity of the directions. You know it will turn out perfectly if you follow them exactly.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.