Esteemed Contributor

Re: What Was Your Favorite Birthday Cake Growing Up?

From age 1 through 18, my sweet mother always made a double layer cherry cake in 2 heart shaped pans, and topped with her 7-minute frosting for my birthday. Of course I don't remember those early cakes, but she always took a picture of me with them! Wonderful memories of my so sweet and loving mother. Sadly, the cherry cakes stopped when I went away to college, but if I had been home she would have made one for me!

Honored Contributor

B3768253-F8B0-4667-A884-A1331E1AF42A.jpeg@ECBG : My favorite cake.😢😢😢😢now all I want is cake. Southern Bee

Respected Contributor

Homemade German chocolate cake All our cakes were homemade.
Honored Contributor

My mother made the best cakes but I always wanted her to make a chocolate pie instead.  I'm still not big on cakes with icing.

Respected Contributor

Mom always made our birthday cakes.  Mine was usually the one from the recipe on the Hershey's Cocoa box, though she also used box mixes.  She made the frosting...I don't think the canned stuff was invented back then!

We got a gift from Mom and Dad and had cake for dessert that evening.  When each of us turned 8 we had a party with our friends....other years, no party.  

I never felt deprived!  Good memories.

Trusted Contributor

My mother always made our birthday cakes. She would ask which cake we wanted, and all of her cakes were fabulous!  My favorite was called Mardi Gras cake, a Pillsbury Bake-off winner. 

Respected Contributor

My mom always made us (from scratch) chocolate cake with chocolate frosting--in a
13"x9" pan.

THE BEST!

Super Contributor

My mom would bake me a white cake with homemade light pink icing. 

Honored Contributor

Checkerboard, red & white.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I don't remember anyone having a bakery or "store bought" cake at a birthday party when we were kids. My favorite cake was pink lemonade cake with pink lemonade frosting. My mother made it and I looked forward to the cake more than gifts. I'm a twin, so my brother always asked for devil's food with white meringue frosting. We shared a birthday but we always each had our own cake with our name on it. When we were five, a cousin was born on our birthday, so we shared it with her also. She liked all chocolate with sprinkles, of course.