Honored Contributor

Re: What Sandwich Says "SUMMER" To You?

Jus’ a homegrown ‘mater samich’ with Dukes mayo on sunflower seed bread!!!   🍅🍅🍅🍅🍅

Heaven

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

for me it's gotta be:  white bread (the cheap spongy kind) crisp iceberg lettuce and fresh local tomatoes (if i am lucky enough to get my hands on some) with a healthy layer of hellman's mayo on both sides of the bread.  

one thing that came to mind when i saw all the bologna on white comments was that every once in a while my mom would make us fried bologna sandwiches ... on the same spongy white bread but buttered this time Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@aroc3435 wrote:

@Zhills   Here in Washington there is a place--Luke's-- in  the Georgetown section of DC that has them--a small one is $17.00 and a jumbo is $23.00.

When I lived in southern CT you could get a good one at almost any seafood place--Lenny's in Branford, Lenny and Joe's Fish Tale, three locations, with one in Madison, Stowe's in West Haven.  Plus a lot of the summer fairs like the annual Milford Oyster Festival each August, would have local booths featuring good lobster rolls with the money raised going to the charity sponsored by that particular booth, such as the Lions Club.

When I go back to visit CT this summer I'll make a bee line to one of these places as soon as I get there to order one!

@aroc3435 

Have you ever been to Abbott's Lobster in Noank CT? I've been there twice several years apart - OMG warm lfreshly cooked lobster - so good.

Esteemed Contributor

We live in the MidWest and for me, it is thick cut bacon, lettuce (any kind as long as it is crunchy!) , thick slice of an heirloom tomato, slice of Vidalia onion, and sometimes a few slices of avocado on sturdy toasted bread or sometimes ciabatta buns, and have even used a baguette sliced in half length wise, then cut in half vertically.   After the sandwich is assembled, I cut each half in half, making 4 sandwiches.  I prefer a sriracha mayo on mine, DH likes a little Dukes mayo and horseradish sauce!  Then there are days that a good hamburger grilled screams summer.  Love sandwiches and fresh crunchy salads in the summer!

Respected Contributor

@Yahooey    Yes I have eaten there once a long, long time back and the food was very good.  Okay, now I am lobster obsessed and it's almost 4:30 a.m.!

Honored Contributor

My #1 is a caprese sandwich!

Crusty french baguette (toasted & buttered, with optional garlic clove rubbed on the bread),

Vine tomato

Basil (lots)

Mozzarella cheese

Olive oil

Balsamic vinegar

salt & pepper

Trusted Contributor

BLT’s on lightly toasted white bread with Hellmann’s mayo!

Esteemed Contributor

@aroc3435 

Did you see Ina Garten's show this past Sunday-she made lobster rolls and they looked amazing!  Living here in the St. Louis area, I have never had the chance to try an authentic lobster roll.  Was wondering if what she made was anything like you purchase on the coast?   That may sound silly but lots of land locked states rely on Red Lobster to give us a "taste of the coast."   Having had fresh seafood, Red Lobster is not quite as good but I guess they do the best they can under conditions.

Respected Contributor

@mustang66lady   I didn't see it but I went to the website and looked up her recipe for warm lobster rolls.  

The New England lobster roll just uses lobster meat, especially from the claws, and melted butter on a plain New England hot dog bun which is crust on the top of the bun and with "white bun" sides, lightly toasted.  NO NEED TO JAZZ IT UP WITH ANYTHING ELSE in my opinion.

Maybe twenty years ago tried lobster at Red Lobster when ladies at work wanted to go out to lunch somewhere new and close to the office.  It was good.  Haven't been there since.  I'm pretty sure their seafood is frozen, not fresh, but when you are in a non shoreline environment I'm sure quality frozen is the way to go.

Supermarkets used to carry refrigerated (maybe even frozen) canned lobster meat which was pricey but was good quality.  I even remember Campbell's cream of shrimp soup in the freezer case, so now you have a clue as to my baby boomer age!

Arghh!  Now I can't get fresh seafood, especially lobster, off my mind.  Guess I've got to visit Luke's in Georgetown soon!

Respected Contributor

A loaded hot dog