Frequent Contributor

Re: What Pies Are Traditional at Your Thanksgiving Table?

pumpkin, pecan and apple pie 

Trusted Contributor

@Sooner  Standard on our table growing up was mom's homemade pumpkin pie as well as her apple pie. We had homemade pecan as well. Dad's favorite. Italian pastries were always in the mix too.

All of our parents are now gone. So now when the cousins and I switch around between our homes and host holidays, we still have the pumkin pie, no apple, a huge pumpkin cheesecake that is one cousins specialty and there are still boxes of Italian pastries. We have poppy seed roll and almond paste roll cakes too for the Cousins that have married spouses with Eastern European holiday traditions.

Traditionally, we roast chestnuts to have with coffee/Espresso/tea and the desserts. A lot of the food we make is from very old family recipes. We love that.Heart

Honored Contributor

Thanksgiving = Pumpkin Pie!!!!

This was a staple growing up!

Now, DH does not care for pumpkin pie - at all.  So, we usually have a cherry pie also.  No problem for me --- I love them both! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

We had our big family Thanksgiving on Saturday.  There was not a (what I call) traditional Pumpkin or Pecan Pie.  We had an Apple Crumb Pie, some sort of Whipped Chocolate Pudding type pie, Cheesecake and Dirt Pudding (which was all gone).  There were a couple of others but I'm not remembering what they are at the moment.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

I like all pies--pumpkin, especially--not so much the super sweet ones like pecan--but cherry, apple and my SIL mom made the most awesome chocolate almond pie I ever ate--she isn't here anymore but I do have her recipe----

Trusted Contributor

Pumpkin & pecan, always. Inside out Oreos & various cookies also. Someone usually brings a chocolate pie, too.
Respected Contributor

My SIL hosts Thanksgiving and she is a wonderful pie maker.  She usually makes pumpkin and cherry.  Last year my youngest DD wanted pecan so I purchased one and brought it so SIL would not have to make another pie.  I am a good baker but I have never made a pie crust myself. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just pumpkin, although I'll make a butter pecan ice cream dessert to eat with four day's worth of leftovers.

Should add that my DH already spotted our Christmas dessert in the freezer case of a small candy store we visited. It's a chocolate cherry torte that stands ten inches high. I inquired on the price. Was expecting to hear $60, but happily, it is $28. Guess I'm accustomed to QVC pricing.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We are not huge pie people but when we cook Thanksgiving we have the usual - pumpkin, pecan etc.

This year my SIL told me about Oatmeal Pie (never heard of it before) and I'm intrigued so I may make that. 

Contributor

Pumpkin and mincemeat growing up. Cheesecake, pumpkin pie, something chocolate and apple pie now. It's funny the desserts are rarely touched.