Respected Contributor

Re: What Pies Are Traditional at Your Thanksgiving Table?

We make pumpkin, pecan & apple pies.

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I find this an interesting question because I think the answers depend not only on family traditions, but also regional customs depending where you lived as a child or are living now.  Growing up it was apple and cherry pies, and a coffee cake option - usually  the kind with the crumble on the top.  I did not taste pumpkin, pecan, or sweet potato pie until my late teens when my world expanded beyond local family and friends.  I do not like the taste of all 3 of them. My taste buds must have formed their opinion from childhood.  I still prefer a fruit pie with also a cake or something chocolate option.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I suppose it's pumpkin for some, but not at my house.  Any kind goes.  Usually, I always have pumpkin, pecan, and might have apple or cherry crumb. 

I serve other goodies, too.  Special cakes, cookies, candy.  I always have a variety.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Shelbelle  My grandmother made mincemeat pie for Christmas. She made the mincemeat from scratch over the course of several months - saved leftover jams and jellies and then started adding the meat later. I didn't really care for it as a child, but I would like to try it again. She died in 1978 at age 98, so her "recipe" passed with her.

Honored Contributor

We usually have pumpkin (I don't eat it... not a fan), apple and maybe a berry pie of some kind.  We also have a chocolate and a cheese cake too.

This year will be a much smaller group and DS has asked for a pecan pie...so we will probably only hve one pie and maybe a small cake.

I tried sweet potato pie for the first time recently and I thought it was delicious....better than pumpkin to me.

Valued Contributor

Sweet potato with a caramel topping, pecan, and a pear-cranberry pie as my son is allergic to apples.  

Honored Contributor

I do come from an odd family as far as food preferences.  My mother made a pumpkin pie and we all had to have a little piece with whipped cream. She made us eat that LOL!!

Then it was on to what we really wanted: Rich, decadent chocolate or creamy or outrageous dessert.  Never saw a fruit pie anywhere near a holiday table at my house. Or mashed potatoes.  Woman Embarassed

The more I read here, the odder I realize we were!  Woman Embarassed

Honored Contributor

@Sooner Nope....the older we get the odder my family is!  Right now DH is trying the carnivore diet (don't ask), DS might have IBS so his diet is limited,  My son in law is a vegan and DD is a vegetarian!  Makes going out to dinner difficult!

Valued Contributor

In my family everyone is so different, Apple, pumpkin, sweet potato, chocolate and cherry...

Honored Contributor

@Sooner 

Apple pie was a given for us at Thanksgiving and Christmas at my farm grandparents house.  Even after Grandma canned applesauce, apple butter and put many bags of sliced apples in the freezer, there were still bushels of apples stored in the basement to use up before spring.

Mom sliced a lot of our share of the apple bounty for the freezer, made fried pies, and baked many applesauce cakes to give to family for Christmas gifts.  We always had an applesauce cake in our kitchen at Christmas.