Honored Contributor

What Part Do I Need For My Garbage Disposal?

I need to replace the rubber part of the garbage disposal in the sink that you push food down.  What is that called?  I tried to look at my garbage disposal to get a brand or part number that I would need, and I can't get my head to where I can see it.  I would have to take the garbage disposal out, and I don't know how to do that.  

I pictured this as just being a part that you stick in through the sink.  Am I correct, or will I need to call a plumber?

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

Re: What Part Do I Need For My Garbage Disposal?

It's clalled the "splash guard" and it is a replaceable part.  Unfortunately it requires the disposal be removed to replace it.

Honored Contributor

@Buck-i-Nana  Thank you.  I guess that means I have to call a plumber.  I was really hoping I could do it myself.

-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

My disposal has the brand name on the metal ring that is in the bottom of the sink that connects it to the sink: Insinkerator.  Mine has a splash guard/gasket that I can pull out to clean it  on the underside & it fits into a groove around the drain when i'm done.  I can just grab it & pull it up out of the sink & then it fits back down again after I clean it.  It's nice to be able to take it completley out to make sure the underside is clean.

Honored Contributor

Thanks @aubnwa01.  I'll look for the name in the sink.  Hopefully my replacement could just fit right in there, too.  That would be great!

-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Mine pulls right up out of the sink drain as well and I replaced it a couple of times. I ordered them on-line but I don't remember from where. I just googled replacement parts for an Insinkerator till I found them somewhere. I only remember I had mine sitting here with me while looking at photos of them to order the exact same thing, I might have had the model number of my unit in front of me as well as I searched. I also remember I had to trim those 4 flapper kind of things on the new ones because they were closer together on the new ones and the water ran down the drain more slowly so i trimmed them with scissors to make the opening wider so the water would run down more quickly. They get totally disgusting on the underside over time so occasionally I pull it out and put it through a dishwasher cycle when I run that.

Just for the heck of it I just googled splash guard for insinkerator, lots of choices so quite easy to find the exact replacement you need.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Rather than replace the splash guard on your disposal, try Fuller Brush cleaning kit.  It contains a nontoxic spray with a clear plastic tube so you can spray down into the well.  It then foams up for a few minutes.  Then you use the special brush to clean the underside of the guard---this will loosen all kinds of smelly gunk that has accumulated.  Then rinse and your guard will be clean as new.  Takes about 8 minutes total.  Many uses from the kit over time.   HTH.

Kit also contains a skinny brush so you could use it in powder room sinks too.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Respected Contributor

@shaggygirl wrote:

Mine pulls right up out of the sink drain as well and I replaced it a couple of times. I ordered them on-line but I don't remember from where. I just googled replacement parts for an Insinkerator till I found them somewhere. I only remember I had mine sitting here with me while looking at photos of them to order the exact same thing, I might have had the model number of my unit in front of me as well as I searched. I also remember I had to trim those 4 flapper kind of things on the new ones because they were closer together on the new ones and the water ran down the drain more slowly so i trimmed them with scissors to make the opening wider so the water would run down more quickly. They get totally disgusting on the underside over time so occasionally I pull it out and put it through a dishwasher cycle when I run that.

Just for the heck of it I just googled splash guard for insinkerator, lots of choices so quite easy to find the exact replacement you need.

That's sounds wonderful.

Mine in a Kenmore and it doesn't pull off from above.  I use a soapy round dishwashing brush to keep mine clean.

Trusted Contributor

I have always used this site to get parts to replace items in my home this is simple replacement that I can do, and they have YouTubes to show you how to do the job yourself......

http://www.repairclinic.com/

The strength of the wolf is the pack, and the strength of the pack is the wolf.......
Honored Contributor

@forrestwolf wrote:

I have always used this site to get parts to replace items in my home this is simple replacement that I can do, and they have YouTubes to show you how to do the job yourself......

http://www.repairclinic.com/

Thank you @forrestwolf.  I'll check it out!

-Henry David Thoreau