Honored Contributor

What Mrs. Fisher Knows about Old Southern Cooking

Available on Ebay and Amazon, quite a few under 10.00.  E version for less than a buck. Mary and David just spoke of this and since Southern cooking is my cookbook favorite, I had to jump on the computer.

Trusted Contributor

Re: What Mrs. Fisher Knows about Old Southern Cooking

@depglass   I looked at a preview on Amazon. I don't think it is really something I could use today to cook.  Naturally words are different (what is a gill), no oven temps or times. It would probably be a good read to see how people cooked and ate in the 1800's.

Honored Contributor

Sometimes I buy cookbooks just to read, and this might have to be one of those.  But I can always get inspiration even if I don't follow recipes exactly.  I had one Amish cookbook with a list of ingredients followed by one word:  Bake.  

Honored Contributor

@depglass wrote:

Sometimes I buy cookbooks just to read, and this might have to be one of those.  But I can always get inspiration even if I don't follow recipes exactly.  I had one Amish cookbook with a list of ingredients followed by one word:  Bake.  

@depglass 

WOW!  No instructions is quite amazing.  If you cook a lot though, cakes for example, have standard steps.

Honored Contributor

At 12, I needed cooking instructions to be specific, but at 65, I am comfortable with the word Bake.