Super Contributor

Re: What Kind of Dried Beans Do You Like to Cook? How do you serve them?

Lentils. I make lentil soup in the winter
Esteemed Contributor

I've never been much of a bean eater. I never make any form of a dried bean. I will eat canned beans in chili or Bush's beans for baked beans
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Bhvbum 

RE: I use all kinds of things to season white beans, like navy and black beans. In fact when we were all shut down, I made a bag of these with a chopped up can of Spam LOL. Surprisingly really good!

I recently commented in the Recipe Forum's 'Fried Spam' thread thread that the one time I tried to eat some, the low-sodium version,  it was still too salty for my taste.  At the time I bought that can, I also picked up a bacon flavored spam but since the lo-so version was salt-laden nevertheless, I had no interest in sampling the bacon version. 

However, using spam as a seasoning for your dried beans seems brilliant to me!  Thanks for sharing that nugget!! If the bacon -flavored can hasn't expired🙄 (it was quite some time ago), I am going to use it to cook me some dried beans.  I'm thinking the saltiness of Spam may be mellowed out when it won't be the top billing in a dish, i.e. it has to share the stage a d blend in with some liquid, beans, and veggies. What else went into your pot of beans when you used the spam?  

Respected Contributor

@vabreeze wrote:

@Bhvbum 

RE: I use all kinds of things to season white beans, like navy and black beans. In fact when we were all shut down, I made a bag of these with a chopped up can of Spam LOL. Surprisingly really good!

I recently commented in the Recipe Forum's 'Fried Spam' thread thread that the one time I tried to eat some, the low-sodium version,  it was still too salty for my taste.  At the time I bought that can, I also picked up a bacon flavored spam but since the lo-so version was salt-laden nevertheless, I had no interest in sampling the bacon version. 

However, using spam as a seasoning for your dried beans seems brilliant to me!  Thanks for sharing that nugget!! If the bacon -flavored can hasn't expired🙄 (it was quite some time ago), I am going to use it to cook me some dried beans.  I'm thinking the saltiness of Spam may be mellowed out when it won't be the top billing in a dish, i.e. it has to share the stage a d blend in with some liquid, beans, and veggies. What else went into your pot of beans when you used the spam?  

I try to sneak in some other veggies so I will chop up carrots very fine, and onions. I cook those a little bit before I add them to the beans. Orange carrots look kind of pretty in either white or black beans. And you are right about the sodium that's the reason I actually had an unused can of Spam sitting on my shelf.

Trusted Contributor

I love beans and eat them often - all kinds but especially especially lentils, black beans, and chickpeas. I use chickpeas in hummus and on salads, also in soups. I keep meaning to try roasting them. Black beans are great in salads too, or in soup, or with chopped onions, red peppers, garlic, tomatoes, vinegar and olive oil as a cold salad. Lentils I just eat hot or cold with so many things, or in soup.

Valued Contributor

Pressure cooker Great for doing dried beans.  you don't have to soak them either!

Use HoneyBaked ham bone you can buy at their store, and you have some Heaven on Earth,  or use the Better than Broth jar in ham flavor or chicken broth flavor.

Check online PC for easy how to do...