Esteemed Contributor

Re: What Kind of Dried Beans Do You Like to Cook? How do you serve them?

split peas, navy beans , blackeyed beans

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I usually buy Hurst's 15 Bean mix. I cook the whole thing and then freeze portions of it to use in various dishes.

download (1).jpg

I really like these too, my only trouble is by the time the big beans are done the little beans are kind of mushy.  But I don't care I eat them anyway, I use all kinds of things to season white beans, like navy and black beans. In fact when we were all shut down, I made a bag of these with a chopped up can of Spam LOL. Surprisingly really good!

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I usually buy Hurst's 15 Bean mix. I cook the whole thing and then freeze portions of it to use in various dishes.

download (1).jpg

I always thought these looked great for making a dish.   I do have a couple bags of them that I've used for years, for blind-baking a pie crust.  Smiley Happy   I have a ham bone with a bunch of meat on it that I vac-sealed and froze.  I should get some of these to make with it.  I think that w/b good.

Otherwise, it's been quite a few years since I made a pot of beans but I also think pinto has been a favorite for me.

Honored Contributor

I buy the Manischewitz soup mix w/spices and dried beans and the Goya Rice and Beans mix. The soup mix is a winter staple.  A bowl of soup and some crusty bread ....!

Otherwise - I use the Goya canned beans.  I use them in curries, chlii, soups, in salads.  Black bean and sweet potato hash - delicious!

Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

I buy the Manischewitz soup mix w/spices and dried beans and the Goya Rice and Beans mix. The soup mix is a winter staple.  A bowl of soup and some crusty bread ....!

Otherwise - I use the Goya canned beans.  I use them in curries, chlii, soups, in salads.  Black bean and sweet potato hash - delicious!

@ALRATIBA Do you grate the sweet potatoes?  It sounds very good--but I'm not sure how you make that hash!  

Honored Contributor

@Sooner 

Cut them into small cubes - lots or recipes online - just google "black beans and sweet potato hash."

Absolutely delicious - worth the work it takes to cut the sweet potatoes.  

Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

@Sooner 

Cut them into small cubes - lots or recipes online - just google "black beans and sweet potato hash."

Absolutely delicious - worth the work it takes to cut the sweet potatoes.  

@ALRATIBA OK!  I trust you!  Woman Very Happy  I think we have sweet potatoes and we do have canned black beans!  

Valued Contributor

@Meowingkitty cooking rice, beans and greens are the three top uses of my pressure cooker.  i agree beans cooked from dried are superior in taste and texture and may be lower in sodium compared to canned beans. 

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee 

Only one bag of 15 bean soup has ever been in this house.   I prepared it as one of the suggested heart healthy meals after my husbands MI in 2008.   

My husband and both daughters made it very clear they never wanted to see those beans in this house again.   

To this day if you ask my youngest daughter  to name the worst things I've ever cooked, she will say 15 bean soup and a meatloaf with cinnamon in it that was a Rachel Ray recipe.   

Honored Contributor

Whenever I have a ham bone, I leave lots of meat on it and cook a pot of pinto beans with onion.  I usually cook them in the pressure cooker. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment