Honored Contributor

Re: What Items Do You Buy By The Store Brand?

@drizzellla :  We have stomach issues and use a lot of toilet tissue and decided to try the Sam's brand and  no problems. We have a friend that has stomach issues and he complained about our tp but he refuses to use nothing but very expensive brand. He visits our home maybe 4 times a year and DH wants me to purchase for his visits- probably will do this next time I shop- maybe put a roll in a cute basket and label : Especially for______.😁😁😁 Southern Bee

Trusted Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

Quite often. My store's brand is called Everyday Essential, and I'll try anything once. Most things are good quality. I don't get the Great Value stuff from Wal-Mart anymore.

I like the Everyday Essential brand, too. 

It's available at one of our area supermarkets.

I try to buy store-brand equivalents whenever possible.

I'll try them for health and beauty products too if I can find an equivalent to the name-brand product.

If I try a store-brand equivalent especially in a health and beauty product and I don't like it, I'll go back to a name brand.

Sometimes I'll just prefer a name brand, and I'll stay with it and I'll try and find coupons or sales to help with the cost of the product.

Trusted Contributor

@insomniac2 wrote:

I buy any products from the Dollar General line--no regrets, ever!

That store has become a favorite place for us to shop!

I really like all of their private label store brands that they have--their DG brand, their Clover Valley for food brands, and their Studio Select (?) health and beauty brand. 

Plus, they have competitive prices on name brand products, and take coupons, and then have their own price specials. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

I will buy Kroger or IGA brands of mustard, canned tomatoes, evaporated milk, cream of chicken soup, refried beans, canned or boxed broth, oyster crackers, jello or pudding, real butter, cream cheese, whipped topping, chunk cheese, sour cream, cereals like corn flakes, mini wheats or puffed rice, and any type of sugar.   

We are totally brand specific with Hellmans mayo, Heinz ketchup, HV ranch dressing, Luzianne tea and ice cream must be Pet or Breyers.   

Oh my word @RedTop, I can just say "ditto" for me from your entire post, except for the ice cream.  I am not much of an ice cream fan, so on the rare I occasion I do buy it, I buy what is on sale.  LOL!

I also buy the Kroger brand canned green beans and use them frequently. 

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Contributor

I always buy Great Value Donut Shop coffee.  Love it.

Honored Contributor

I'm usually leery of non-brand name anything.  However, we have a brand in our area (upper mid-west) called Essentials.  I rarely find an item of theirs that doesn't equal the brand name for much less money.  My favorite would be soda crackers, 2.99 for the brand name and Essentials are on a promo price of .99.  Essentials are carried by more than one chain.

Honored Contributor

Very interesting subject here---I used to buy  just the store brands as they saved my $$ when I had 2 kids eating me out of house and home---but now--I buy more of the name brands and spend more for them as I can really tell a difference in taste----not sure why that is, as prob the same companies makes most of the stuff for every brand out there----

Respected Contributor

The only thing I can think of is milk. That comes straight from the dairies, with no additions, so it's hard to mess up. 

Otherwise, we stick to name brands. I have favorite brands I like for most things.