Respected Contributor

Re: What Items Do You Buy By The Store Brand?

It depends I am like a 50/50 I have gotten name brands on sale with download of coupons plus get gas points too at Kroger. If making soup or stew  add store brand plus add in spices. Just got to add things at times. I do buy store brand spices. I remember just married we were lucky to even afford a store brand name. Guess some of that stuck with me. Just look out for sales & hope to stock up. Read that some store brands are name brands that they re labeled. They don't have special factories for each grocery store. Just hope that Aldi's come to my town. Some have large families or just starting out and can't afford brand names. I tell my Daughter use your spices. I go to Dollar Tree mostly for cleaning products. 

Honored Contributor

Costco is the only store I almost always buy the Kirkland store brand except for TP I prefer Charmin.  

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

I buy Costo brand TP, tissues, and their frozen organic veggies are excellent.  I keep big bags of frozen mixed veggies and add them to soups, smoothies, and lots of things.  

@Sooner   I buy their turkey bacon which, I think, is superior to others we have tried.  I get their chicken tenderloins and large bags of vegetables.  I buy lots of groceries for most people my age, I expect, because so many people eat out nowadays as we did before my husband's confinement due to illness.  But, I have to prepare 3 meals per day and count carbs, sodium, potassium and cholesterol, and I am careful about what he eats. 

One of his heart doctors recommended a food from Costco that she felt better than the name brands.  My internist recommended I get their NSAIDs rather than pay the full price for name brands. 

I find Aldi and Publix butter as good as Kerrygold which used to be my choice.  I, however, like all of Aldi's house brand dairy products.  They have great dairy and great prices for same.  My children grew up in a house where their mother would never buy house brands so they are somewhat shocked at seeing the change, but the change came from the house brands, not me. 

I do not, however, buy Great Value.  There may be some items they provide that are good but the ones I have tried have not been.

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

I will not hesitate to try Costco's store brand (Kirkland) or Kroger's store brand (Private Selection) as they are both often quite good.  In fact my bread of choice is Private Selection Honey Oat bread from Kroger.

I have not had any luck whatsoever with the Publix brand, and I prefer to shop there so I don't have anything against the store.  In fact, I once had some Publix brand pineapple chunks that I didn't realize was Publix brand until after I had eaten some and thought it tasted kinda bland.  I went and looked in the trash to find out it was Publix brand.  So, it's not a case of me just thinking their products are inferior.  

@Icegoddess   Yes, their canned pineapple is the pits. I tried it for a salad I made and it ruined the whole salad.   Other items, however, are good.  I have just about figured out, of the foods we eat, which ones I can buy and which ones not.  I like to buy their Greenwise products as well.

Honored Contributor

We have found a number of the grocery foods at Meijer's are really good. Less $$ too.

Honored Contributor

@ECBG 

@Foxxee Many store brands come from the same factory as top brands but the line is different as are the standards.   That's why you have quality differences like peeling and other things at times.

@ECBG 

Yes, I know; however, some grocery stores have higher standards for their own brands than other stores do.

Esteemed Contributor

Only thing I can think of is Wegman's t.p., which is better for septic systems.

Honored Contributor

Quite often. My store's brand is called Everyday Essential, and I'll try anything once. Most things are good quality. I don't get the Great Value stuff from Wal-Mart anymore.

Valued Contributor

I have had a lot of success with the Trader Joe home brand.

Honored Contributor

@Nonametoday wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

I will not hesitate to try Costco's store brand (Kirkland) or Kroger's store brand (Private Selection) as they are both often quite good.  In fact my bread of choice is Private Selection Honey Oat bread from Kroger.

I have not had any luck whatsoever with the Publix brand, and I prefer to shop there so I don't have anything against the store.  In fact, I once had some Publix brand pineapple chunks that I didn't realize was Publix brand until after I had eaten some and thought it tasted kinda bland.  I went and looked in the trash to find out it was Publix brand.  So, it's not a case of me just thinking their products are inferior.  

@Icegoddess   Yes, their canned pineapple is the pits. I tried it for a salad I made and it ruined the whole salad.   Other items, however, are good.  I have just about figured out, of the foods we eat, which ones I can buy and which ones not.  I like to buy their Greenwise products as well.

@Nonametoday, my pineapple was in the little plastic cups with the peel-off top.  They weren't terrible, just didn't have the zing that the name brand pineapple does.  Sorta flat-tasting.  Their version of Ritz crackers tasted stale to me.  I only give a couple of chances when it comes to spending my money, so I'm not trying any more Publix brand.