Honored Contributor

Re: What Items Do You Buy By The Store Brand?

@Icegoddess wrote:

@Nonametoday wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

I will not hesitate to try Costco's store brand (Kirkland) or Kroger's store brand (Private Selection) as they are both often quite good.  In fact my bread of choice is Private Selection Honey Oat bread from Kroger.

I have not had any luck whatsoever with the Publix brand, and I prefer to shop there so I don't have anything against the store.  In fact, I once had some Publix brand pineapple chunks that I didn't realize was Publix brand until after I had eaten some and thought it tasted kinda bland.  I went and looked in the trash to find out it was Publix brand.  So, it's not a case of me just thinking their products are inferior.  

@Icegoddess   Yes, their canned pineapple is the pits. I tried it for a salad I made and it ruined the whole salad.   Other items, however, are good.  I have just about figured out, of the foods we eat, which ones I can buy and which ones not.  I like to buy their Greenwise products as well.

@Nonametoday, my pineapple was in the little plastic cups with the peel-off top.  They weren't terrible, just didn't have the zing that the name brand pineapple does.  Sorta flat-tasting.  Their version of Ritz crackers tasted stale to me.  I only give a couple of chances when it comes to spending my money, so I'm not trying any more Publix brand. 

@Icegoddess   I purchase their brand of "Ritz" crackers because they contain less sodium, according to the label on the box and the taste was 'flat,' not stale to me.  I think it was a lack of sodium.  I like that because we are in a low sodium life.  Ha ha.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

One day we were in Sam's Club. A lady was handing out rolls of Sam's toilet paper (in a plastic bag). I politely declined, She said "go on take it, what do you have to lose". So I did take a roll.

I really liked it. Was just as good if not better than the name brand toilet paper I had been using. And I liked that the package had the rolls in groups of 9. So it fit easily into the closet.

It changed my view of store brands. And I started trying more store brands. And for the most part I am pleased with the purchase.

Esteemed Contributor

I almost always buy name brand items but I will purchase store brand frozen veggies.  If I'm making baked beans, I will occasionally purchase the store brand baked beans but prefer Bush's.  It really doesn't matter a whole lot since I add quite a bit of things to them before baking anyway.  I will also buy the Wal-mart (Great Value?) brand of trash bags.  They work very well for me and I'm not one to stuff a bag until it's bulging anyway.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

None unless I really need something like canned potatoes or canned vegetables but the quality is way inferior and there is less product in each can.  To   prove to my SO I drained the water out and weighed them and never once was the amount the same or close to the brand name.  While they may be processes at the same plants, the reject vegetables are used as is the quality of the cans.   Generic dairy products such as cream cheese, sour cream, etc do not taste the same nor do they bake the  same as brand name.

Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

I buy the store brand on very few items.  I find their quality can't compare to the national brands many times.

I will buy some frozen vegetables, large kitchen trash bags for the laundry room only, some of their pakaged grated cheese,  some types of pickles and olives.  DH will buy a few other items, but I don't think they perfo0rm well.

Wegman's Tuna (albacore) is wonderful.

Trusted Contributor

I buy store brand of almost everything.  Depending on the store the quality may be different.  I purchase Kirkland Toilet paper but I won't purchase a regular store brand toilet paper.  The savings typically can't be beat.

The only Non-Store brand items I purchaes are Razers, paper towel,  garbage bags, and Puffs.  Other than that I will buy store brand.

Respected Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

Quite often. My store's brand is called Everyday Essential, and I'll try anything once. Most things are good quality. I don't get the Great Value stuff from Wal-Mart anymore.

My small town store also carries this Everyday Essiential brand.  I've bought it when it didn't need to stand on its own, like something canned, and it's been just fine at a good price especially on sale.  I'm reluctant to step out of my trusted name brands too far but when the price is too good to turn my nose up at, I'm no fool.  I often buy this brand in sliced olives which are particularly expensive, imo.

Respected Contributor

I buy any products from the Dollar General line--no regrets, ever!

Honored Contributor

It would be easier for me to list what I would never buy store brand!

Esteemed Contributor

At WM, I only buy national brand names - never the WM brand. At my favorite local grocer (Dierberg's), I buy their brand all the time (canned items, milk, cheese, bread, spice blends, snack dips, bakery, frozen pizza, deli, etc).