Honored Contributor

What Items Do You Buy By The Store Brand?

I buy the store brand on very few items.  I find their quality can't compare to the national brands many times.

I will buy some frozen vegetables, large kitchen trash bags for the laundry room only, some of their pakaged grated cheese,  some types of pickles and olives.  DH will buy a few other items, but I don't think they perfo0rm well.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: What Items Do You Buy By The Store Brand?

I buy store brand only when there's no other choice.  Wegmans is famous for  pushing  their brand on many canned - dairy products.  For brands I really want - I go to a family owned grocery with on-site butcher shop.  Half here - half there.

Respected Contributor

I buy store brand for almost everything.  

But I only buy brand name toilet paper, razors, soap, and  shampoo & conditioner.

Honored Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

I buy store brand only when there's no other choice.  Wegmans is famous for  pushing  their brand on many canned - dairy products.  For brands I really want - I go to a family owned grocery with on-site butcher shop.  Half here - half there.

@fthunt Our store brand of frozen leaf spinach is now chopped, although, it may be labeled "whole leaf".  I don't like it (except for recipes) because there's nothing to chew.  I'm done with that product!

Honored Contributor

I always buy Wegman's canned corn and their tissues.  Their corn is better than any name brands and their tissues , I think must be made by Kleenex...they are identical.

I don't buy many store brand products.  I am fortunate to have a Sharp Shopper Store near me.  They have name brands for pennies on the dollar.

Esteemed Contributor

DH recently said No "Great Value" (walmart) food. 

He never says No to anything LOL   No problem with Aldi brands

Esteemed Contributor

I buy a lot of store brands.

But when the store brand is bad😝, I spend the extra coin.

Honored Contributor

I buy the store brand on quite a few items and find it's just as good as the regular brand. Then there are things that I like only in the brand names. Some stores have better brand names than others. I don't care for Great Value brand.

Super Contributor

I buy a lot of store brand items. I usually make beans from dried but have found Sprouts brand of beans are really good for the sale price. I prefer Rotel diced tomatoes but will buy store brand and mix. Trader Joe's has good quality. Kirkland/Costco for all paper products and bulk spices. I definitely buy more store brands than commercial now that I think of it! 

Honored Contributor

Have done quite a bit of research on this.  Some grocery stores have their products made by the same companies as brand names do.  

I often buy some store brand canned vegetables and fruits, also some jams, coffee and tea, shredded wheat, dishwasher soap, from two grocery stores in my area because they are as good as the brand names except cost much less.

Mostly, though, I buy brand names because they usually are better than store brands.