Respected Contributor

Re: What Is Your Favorite Roast?

Thanks for the replies, @sunshine45 and @panda1234. It's appreciated.

I suppose that both are possibilities? I'll have to find out which is the most tender of the 2, I suppose. Time for some research! Smiley LOL

Eye of round is something that I use when dieting, as there's no fat, but unless it's sliced paper thin, can be quite tough. It's great for sandwiches too, but for a nice, thick cut for a Sunday roast beef dinner, it doesn't work.

JMO.

Thank again, ladies!

Muddling through...
Esteemed Contributor

I love an English roast.....I slow cook it for 6 hours with carrots and potatoes......falls apart...

Trusted Contributor

a brisket cooked low and slow. I did that recently and it was to die for. Yummy!

Frequent Contributor

I saw your post and thought I would share what I have had very good luck with.  It is called a spoon roast or sirloin roast.  It is not as expensive as rib eye but very flavorful.  There is a bit of fat in it, not nearly as lean as an eye roast  but this may be what you have in mind.

I looked quickly on Bing under spoon roast and there is quite a bit of info on how to cook it if you are interested.

Respected Contributor

My fave is a rump roast/bottom round roast.

I braise it then roast in oven.  We like it with mashed potatoes - it makes the best gravy.  

I also sometimes cook it for hubby in BBQ sauce in my slow cooker.  

Trusted Contributor

I'm old skool and like to cook a roast in a crock pot with small potatoes and carrots.  I cover the bottom with water, and use 1/2-3/4 package of Lipton onion soup mix in the water and sprinkled on top of the roast.  Cooks in around 5 hours on high and comes out perfect every time!

Honored Contributor

Sauerbraten - marinated pot roast.  

Honored Contributor

If I make a eye of round roast I trim the fat and put it in the crockpot. I feel it has to cook long and slow to be decently tender.

A nice chuck roast for DH & I will make 2 meals. The roast with potatoes, gravy and carrots one night and hot roast beef sandwiches for the left over meal.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

l never buy roasts anymore as they're too much red meat for just one person.  Plus I keep forgetting to arrange for financing before I head for the grocery store.

@Kachina624, Woman LOLWoman LOL True!!!