Respected Contributor

Re: What Is Your Favorite Ice Cream With Birthday Cake?

I never liked ice cream served with cake.  To me they don't belong together.  I like them both, but not at the same time.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

You could mix softened ice cream with whipped cream to make it spreadable and not so hard when frozen. This would also lighten the frozen part of it to blend with the cake better.
Honored Contributor

Or you could just put whipped cream (the REAL deal) on the cake and I'd go for that!

Honored Contributor

When we were kids, we always had to have ice cream with our birthday cakes!!!  If not, it just wasn't a birthday party!  We always had the neopolitan back then!!!  Later on, we usually went with vanilla.  But I also like butter pecan.  

When we have the parties for the kids now we still have ice cream with the cake, but we let each child choose their favorite flavor.  Now, as far as us "big kids", we usually don't have ice cream.  The cake is good, the cake is plenty and the cake does enough damage!  LOL!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

I'm allergic to milk, so I rarely eat ice cream, but the only flavors I buy for my family are chocolate and French vanilla.   A birthday cake in this house has to be chocolate or red velvet, with whippy icing.   

Valued Contributor

I'll usually default to vanilla unless I know people want something else. As previously mentioned, it pretty much compliments any cake, IMO. 

Contributor

@chrystaltree I have to agree. I either like ice cream alone or cake. But a good pie with a rich vanilla bean ice cream is DA BOMB as the kids say.

Trusted Contributor

Yesterday was my birthday but it was just way too hot to bake my cake (I usually bake my own). I usually bake a pan of brownies or a peanut butter sheet cake. We went to Red Lobster for lunch & I did get their birthday treat which is a chocolate chip brownie with vanilla ice cream with both caramel & chocolate sauce drizzled on. It tasted perfect & I loved every bite since it was my "b-day" cake. I also love butter pecan, which I think I might run out & get today.

Honored Contributor

Being I live in Michigan I always have "Mackinac Island Fudge". Mmmmm!

"Pure Michigan"