Valued Contributor

Re: What Is Your Favorite Holiday Meal Out Of All Holidays?

@colliemom4 wrote:

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@ECBG  Thanksgiving food is the BEST! The leftovers are great too! I'm usually so exhausted by the time we sit down to eat, I can't enjoy it. But I just love making a plate of everything for breakfast the next day. I usually take some of the leftovers- turkey, gravy, mashed potatoes, filling and corn - and make a shepherd's pie with cheddar cheese topping in the fireplace the next day. I usually make three pies, and my SIL brings one. Most of my overnighters eat pie for breakfast. 

We also have steaks on the grill when the children and grandchildren come in for our Christmas during the week between Christmas and New Year. SO good! Easy for me, because DH does the grilling.

@Othereeeen  I've made wild goose and domestic goose. Not really happy with either. You have to treat them like duck because of the natural layer of fat. Sooo much fat! UGH!

I've never made or ate a goose, but seeing my neighbor scooping fat off one in her fridge made me not want to. There definitely is a lot of fat on them.

I DID make a goose.....we had company and it was very early in our marriage. He was an up and coming executive chef and, even though he had to work thru lunch, I decided to make us all a goose as a surprise. I never poked the skin and it looked beautiful when it was put on the table. We ate and as soon as that grease hardened in our stomachs well, let,s just say it took 3days for us to stop being sick......never made another one but we laughed about it every Xmas......

Respected Contributor

I love all the variety on the Thanksgiving table and don't mind roating a turkey, BUT.  These days the thought of just roasting a couple of chickens is starting to have some appeal for me.

As for GOOSE, to anyone thinking about it I'd say start with a Duck and work your way up.

The Grease is abundant.  The ratio of meat to bone to effort and Cost is not for me.

Honored Contributor

Re: What Is Your Favorite Holiday Meal Out Of All Holidays?O

@AuntG   Surprise us!!!!!!!

Valued Contributor

Turkey and everything that goes with it smells so good. Since there is only two of us now, our son in law cooks the meal. I make cranberry sauce with mandarin oranges in it and apple pie.

New Years is a stay at home day. I like to make a tortiere (French pork pie) with squash, peas and sweet mixed pickles.