Honored Contributor

Re: What Is Your Favorite Holiday Meal Out Of All Holidays?

@PA Mom-mom 

I am the cook of the family.  DS always said "Oh Momma, you'll always do it for me!" when I said "Let me show you this.".

My DIL essentially grew up with a half sister from her father's first marriage.  I don't think that girl, in her early 20's cooked much.  At that time, "McDonalds was billing themselves as the 'Family place to eat".

We have always had about 4 days of leftovers, then it's gone for a year. 

I make a big turkey and send them home with almost a week of leftovers for complete dinners.

It's everyone's favorite meal of the year, so much so, that I used to do turkey dinner for Easter.

DIL does help.  She will set the table and tirelessly stir the gravy.  

Esteemed Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@PA Mom-mom 

DIL does help.  She will set the table and tirelessly stir the gravy.  

@ECBG  It can be intimidating for a DIL to step into the holiday kitchen with an experienced cook. Sounds like she found her niche. 

Trusted Contributor

My mother's lasagna on Christmas Day!

Respected Contributor

@ECBG wheww you had me worried there, i love spiral sliced ham!

Honored Contributor

My vote is for Thanksgiving food. I'm not a big turkey eater, but those side dishes are the best.

Honored Contributor

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@ECBG  Thanksgiving food is the BEST! The leftovers are great too! I'm usually so exhausted by the time we sit down to eat, I can't enjoy it. But I just love making a plate of everything for breakfast the next day. I usually take some of the leftovers- turkey, gravy, mashed potatoes, filling and corn - and make a shepherd's pie with cheddar cheese topping in the fireplace the next day. I usually make three pies, and my SIL brings one. Most of my overnighters eat pie for breakfast. 

We also have steaks on the grill when the children and grandchildren come in for our Christmas during the week between Christmas and New Year. SO good! Easy for me, because DH does the grilling.

@Othereeeen  I've made wild goose and domestic goose. Not really happy with either. You have to treat them like duck because of the natural layer of fat. Sooo much fat! UGH!

I've never made or ate a goose, but seeing my neighbor scooping fat off one in her fridge made me not want to. There definitely is a lot of fat on them.

Honored Contributor

Thanksgiving hands down MY ultimate FAV meal!!!!  I love to prepare it, cook it, smell it, carve it, eat it!!!!!!!!!  Don't know what it is about this meal but this is THE BEST meal, I think it's the actual aroma of the turkey and how it permeates through the house. 

We start with a platter of delicious deviled eggs, with a relish tray of olives, stuffed celery with cream cheese. We nibble on these while waiting for the dinner bell to ring. I do make my own cranberry sauce, takes no time at all and tastes so good, We'll do a large turkey breast now (we used to do a small whole turkey and we do enjoy dark meat) but a breast is compact, easier, Roast with carrots, celery and onions for flavor, make my own dressing on top of the stove, gravy. No rolls as I don't bake but we do have rolls or nice bread for sandwiches at a later time. Mu husband always creates something great for dessert, he loves baking!!!!

I ordered our fresh turkey breast yesterday from our fav gourmet market. I cannot wait!!!!!!!!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I love Thanksgiving.  When I hosted (can't do it anymore) there was always turkey, mashed potatoes, dressing, gravy, cranberry salad, corn, rolls, pumpkin pie, whipped cread, pecan tarts.

I usually had a turkey and then a turkey breast because there never seemed to be enough white meat.

Honored Contributor

No favorite, always feel grateful and blessed when a good meal is served at anytime.

Honored Contributor

Re: What Is Your Favorite Holiday Meal Out Of All Holidays?O

@PINKdogWOOD wrote:

Thanksgiving hands down MY ultimate FAV meal!!!!  I love to prepare it, cook it, smell it, carve it, eat it!!!!!!!!!  Don't know what it is about this meal but this is THE BEST meal, I think it's the actual aroma of the turkey and how it permeates through the house. 

We start with a platter of delicious deviled eggs, with a relish tray of olives, stuffed celery with cream cheese. We nibble on these while waiting for the dinner bell to ring. I do make my own cranberry sauce, takes no time at all and tastes so good, We'll do a large turkey breast now (we used to do a small whole turkey and we do enjoy dark meat) but a breast is compact, easier, Roast with carrots, celery and onions for flavor, make my own dressing on top of the stove, gravy. No rolls as I don't bake but we do have rolls or nice bread for sandwiches at a later time. Mu husband always creates something great for dessert, he loves baking!!!!

I ordered our fresh turkey breast yesterday from our fav gourmet market. I cannot wait!!!!!!!!!!!

Can I bring something for my hostess? @PINKdogWOOD