Esteemed Contributor

Re: What Is Your Favorite Holiday Meal Out Of All Holidays?

Thanksgiving is my favorite....turkey, corn casserole, green beans, mashed potatoes & noodles, etc.  We don't have a lot of the traditional foods like gravy, sweet potatoes, dressing/stuffing and cranberry relish.  My mom used to make the best dressing but it was to the point that only 2 people ate it so we don't make it any longer.  I'm not even sure we have pumpkin pie as it's another thing that never gets eaten.  

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanksgiving favorite of everything.  Holiday itself, my family, the traditional food, it is the only hard copy daily newspaper I buy all year and my Cowboys play that day.  Perfection.  (if the Boys win)

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

Can't just pick one.  I love them all !   We have big family gatherings with  many different side dishes

Honored Contributor

thanksgiving is my fave--

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

I make the traditional Christmas or Thanksgiving meal as a Sunday dinner throughout the year... stuffed bird, so it's not special or holiday exclusive.

For Easter, I make leg of lamb or sometimes we have seafood, ( lobster, crab, shrimp, scallops)

I buy whole hams a few times a year too.  Right now I have one we are working on.  I slice it for sandwiches, make ham salad, then use the bone for green beans and ham...or cabbage.

I try not to buy deli meats..I use real chicken, roast beef and ham cooked at home.

If I have to choose, I'd rather have the lamb or seafood.  Turkey is not my favorite meal. It is my least favorite.

I much prefer a roast stuffed chicken.

I often get free turkeys around the holidays and make them through out the year just to use them up.

@Carmie That could have been written by me.  Chicken and dressing occasionally, we are crazy about lamb and seafood.  And real good hams are a thing of beauty!

Respected Contributor

Leg of Lamb at Easter.....with garlic, rosemary,and of course,mint jelly ( the REAL mint jelly if you can find it, not the mint flavored apple jelly!!) and all the fixings everyone here mentions for the other meat/poutry choices...

I live alone , only one  sister left, and a leg is too big for one ( I only like lamb when it's hot the first serving day...), and she doesn't care for it...

I buy loin lamb chops now a few times a year.

I want to cook a goose one time in my life. They had them at TOPS market a few years ago...8.00 a pound, average weight 10 pounds....At that price, I would be afraid of ruining it cooking it!!!  And it's a lot of meat for one person, and i'm not crazy about frozen leftovers....

I thnk a goose is all dark meat, not sure. I LOVE roast duck too, which may make for this Thanksgiving for me...Aldi and Walmart had tons of them this past week...!!!

Honored Contributor

New Year's Day brunch.  Lots of selection eaten at one's leisure.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My family loves Thanksgiving; we only want lots of turkey breast, dressing, gravy and cranberry sauce.   Side dishes are not important to us on Thanksgiving; we eat those all year round; we just want what we like best for the holiday.  

We don't always do a special meal on Easter or Christmas.  

Esteemed Contributor

My family enjoys the Thanksgiving meal the most.

My favorite is the standing rib roast dinner we used to have at Christmas. We've started doing the pork crown roast at Christmas and it's good ... just not the same for me as the rib roast. 

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Esteemed Contributor

@ECBG  Thanksgiving food is the BEST! The leftovers are great too! I'm usually so exhausted by the time we sit down to eat, I can't enjoy it. But I just love making a plate of everything for breakfast the next day. I usually take some of the leftovers- turkey, gravy, mashed potatoes, filling and corn - and make a shepherd's pie with cheddar cheese topping in the fireplace the next day. I usually make three pies, and my SIL brings one. Most of my overnighters eat pie for breakfast. 

We also have steaks on the grill when the children and grandchildren come in for our Christmas during the week between Christmas and New Year. SO good! Easy for me, because DH does the grilling.

@Othereeeen  I've made wild goose and domestic goose. Not really happy with either. You have to treat them like duck because of the natural layer of fat. Sooo much fat! UGH!