Honored Contributor

What Is Your Favorite Holiday Meal Out Of All Holidays?

[ Edited ]

We all cook several holiday meals during the year.

Quite a few of us have a holiday plan with family favorites.

What is your favorite holiday meal?

Mine is Thanksgiving.  I have turkey, dressing (stuffing), gravy, cranberry sauce, fresh green beans, glazed carrots and maybe a mixed vegetable casserole.  Rolls and Pumpkin pie with homemade whipped cream.

Christmas and Easter each have traditional dishes, but the meat may change.

Christmas has been grilled ribeye steaks because everyone wanted the outside piece of the roast!

Now, that Hostess canned hams, are out, I do like brown sugar spiral cut hams.  I do the potato salad and deviled eggs with all of the fresh vegies.

Respected Contributor

Re: What Is Your Favorite Holiday Meal Out Of All Holidays?

I'm not crazy about turkey but i love the sides on Thanksgiving.  I like the fact that I can cook what I want on Christmas, I usually cook a good quality steak on Christmas and soem good sides.  This year I might try a smoked turkey that Sams club sells and I might include prime rib or somthing similar for others that don't care for turkey, like me.  I am doing both this year and want to make it special since my sister will be having her first holidays without her husband, of course the focus wont be on the food but good food makes everything better.

Honored Contributor

Mine is Thanksgiving too!  I love a well made moist turkey with all of the trimmings!...and pie, chocolate cake & cheesecake!  The only thing I don't care for is pumpkin pie but I do like the smell when it's baking.

Trusted Contributor

Mine is also Thanksgiving. I go all out with all the trimming.  For Christmas I go easy, I just make Quiche for breakfast, muffins and Jimmy the Baker cinnamon rolls.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

EASY answer for me!  Fourth of July!  Hamburgers, hot dogs, corn on the cob, watermelon, and blackberry cobbler.  You just can't get better than that!!!! 

ETA: I quit cooking holiday meals a few years ago.  We have turkey or chicken and dessing about 2 or 3 times a year with leftover cornbread and poultry, but a whole holiday meal?  Nope.  Not all of us do it.

Honored Contributor

I make the traditional Christmas or Thanksgiving meal as a Sunday dinner throughout the year... stuffed bird, so it's not special or holiday exclusive.

For Easter, I make leg of lamb or sometimes we have seafood, ( lobster, crab, shrimp, scallops)

I buy whole hams a few times a year too.  Right now I have one we are working on.  I slice it for sandwiches, make ham salad, then use the bone for green beans and ham...or cabbage.

I try not to buy deli meats..I use real chicken, roast beef and ham cooked at home.

If I have to choose, I'd rather have the lamb or seafood.  Turkey is not my favorite meal. It is my least favorite.

I much prefer a roast stuffed chicken.

I often get free turkeys around the holidays and make them through out the year just to use them up.

Respected Contributor

I've never had a holiday meal that wasn't my favorite. At least until the next holiday Woman Wink

Respected Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

Mine is Thanksgiving.  I have turkey, dressing (stuffing), gravy, cranberry sauce, fresh green beans, glazed carrots and maybe a mixed vegetable casserole.  Rolls and Pumpkin pie with homemade whipped cream.

Chriistms has been grilled ribeye steaks because everyone wanted the outside piece of the roast!

Now, that spiral hams, are out, I do like brown sugar hams.  I do the potato salad and deviled eggs with all of the fresh vegies.

@ECBG why are spiral hams out?

Honored Contributor

@LizzieInSRQ wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

Chriistms has been grilled ribeye steaks because everyone wanted the outside piece of the roast!

Now, that spiral hams, are out, I do like brown sugar hams.  I do the potato salad and deviled eggs with all of the fresh vegies.

@LizzieInSRQ wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

@LizzieInSRQ 

OH MY GOSH!  Thanks!  Spiral hams aren't out, they're what I buy if I buy ham!

I meant Hostess canned hams from years ago which lost popularity when spiral overtook the market.

Thank you again!

Respected Contributor

Thanksgiving and Christmas.  SIL hosts Thanksgiving.  She does most of the cooking.  I bring Bob Evans sausage stuffing.  She makes wonderful pies.  I host Christmas.  I always serve beef tenderloin.  I change up the sauce for the meat and sides.  SIL bring salad and my aunt brings rolls. We always have some type of chocolate dessert that i either make from scratch or sometimes buy.  This year I am making a glutten free chocolate cake from a King Arthur baking mix.  Youngest DD is senstive to glutten and I discovered King Arthur baking mixes are pretty good.  Haven't decided how I will frost it yet.