Honored Contributor

Re: What Is The Best 100% Whole Wheat Bread

I wish I had a whole wheat bread machine recipe. It's always too heavy. I have to make it using half wheat half white flour.

Honored Contributor

Whole wheat is not much different from white bread, so you could expand your choices there.  Smiley Happy

I don't care for those so I only go with 'whole grain'.  

For whole wheat and other such choices, I know that Orowheat makes nice breads, though.   I stopped buying the brand when they stopped having the 'whole grain and flax seed' one that I really loved.  Smiley Sad  But they do have a lot of whole wheat options that look very nice.

Honored Contributor

I like Dave's Killer Bread.  They have a good variety of choices.  Costco sells a couple of kinds. 

Honored Contributor

I like Arnold's, especially their Oat Nut bread.  And, by the way, Arnold's is made by Bimbo Bakeries, which also makes Brownberry and Oroweat breads.  Who knows - the three brands may be the same, but marketed in different parts of the country.

Honored Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

I like Dave's Killer Bread.  They have a good variety of choices.  Costco sells a couple of kinds. 

I was going to suggest the same thing!

They have lots of varieties.....just a snapshot below of what they have. 

I read somewhere the brand was bought out my someone. Smiley Sad 

Hopefully the integrity (and taste!) of the original brand remains.

I agree with @chickenbutt.  Whole wheat really isn't any different from white.  OP....think chunky, seedy, visible whole grains, with lots & lots of fiber.  Good stuff. 

image.jpeg

Trusted Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

I wish I had a whole wheat bread machine recipe. It's always too heavy. I have to make it using half wheat half white flour.

Try using white whole wheat flour in your recipe.  King Arthur flour sells this.  I think you will like the results.  

Respected Contributor

@milliegrace wrote:

Hands Down its Pepperidge Farm for me!

And more specifically, I like Pepperidge Farm 15 Grain, Whole Grain Bread.  It tastes really good, no high fructose corn syrup, and it isn't hard like cardboard (like some whole wheat breads).

Respected Contributor

Thank you soo much ladies. I will be trying the suggestions mentioned.Never heard of Dave's killer bread though name is interesting. 

Honored Contributor

I like alot of whole wheat and whole grains bread (that is all I eat) but my husband is much more picky because he grew up eating white bread so isn't use to more "hearty" breads with alot of grains and "chunks" in them, lol.  We've tried so many and the one he likes the best is Nature’s Own 100% Whole Wheat bread. It is low in sodium too, which we needed to switch to but many breads are higher in sodium. It is soft too.

Honored Contributor

Ezekial makes some great breads. 

They aren't 100% whole wheat, (maybe they do make it?) but it contains organic wheat and other organic grains. 

It's sprouted and not 'reformulated' or whatever it is they do to flour to make it unhealthy and lack nutrition.

I love it and have it for breakfast every morning. 

One slice alone can even be a mid day treat.  Alone or w/ peanut butter or a slice of cheese and a jalapeno pickle.  Yum.