Honored Contributor

Re: What Is Everyone Making For Christmas Dinner?

It's going to be just the folks who live here.  I'm a little sad that we won't be with my daughters and grandchildren but we are going to have a Zoom Christmas breafast and open presents together.  It will be fun.  So, happy that my nephew, his wife and their 7 year old are still with us.  We are going to have seafood; fish, scallops, shrimp, clams for Christmas dinner.  They are going to do all the cooking.  She just came in with a bunch of grocery store bags.   I'll make Christmas breakfast.  I didn't do much baking.  I'm going to bake an apple custard pie and some cookies this evening.  I usually do a big Christmas Eve and a big Christmas day dinner but we've been asked to limit our Christmas to the people we live with.  We were going to cheat a little.  My middle sister and my adult niece were going to come for dinner  but fate stepped in.  My sister's visiting nurse, who was at her house  a week ago has Covid 19.  My sister is quarantining, she cannot get a test until Saturday and it will take days to get the results.  The forecast is for heavy rain, strong winds, some flooding on Christmas and my niece doesn't want to drive and I don't want her to drive through that so she isn't coming.  

Honored Contributor

The usual, Prime Rib, twice baked potatoes, roasted carrots and snap peas, and gingerbread for dessert.

Honored Contributor

No big meal at my house...there will be four of us.  I am doing hot and cold appetizers.  I baked a cake and have homemade candy and cookies.  

If I did a meal there would be no relaxing for me.

I did prepare a decent meal after Christmas eve service this evening...I'm done...kitchen is now closed for a few days, except for what I'm doing for Christmas day.  Merry Christmas and enjoy the chicken and biscuits, sounds good!

Respected Contributor

It's just the two of us and our attached next door neighbor.   We decided on Xmas breakfast.  Nothing beef, chicken, pork or fish sounded good.    I'm looking forward to it.

Respected Contributor

@Allegheny wrote:

@AKgirl2  I am Polish; DH is Slovak. Our holiday foods are very similar.

@Allegheny ~ Wesolych Swiat! 🎄

Honored Contributor

Frick's Ham.

Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2  Just me & the hubby - we had homemade beef enchiladas. Totally untraditional but of course so was all of 2020! Talked to both of my sons today, we can not get together. Hope evereybody had a nice day! 

Respected Contributor

My small 'bubble' was just dh & myself. I went easy peasy. Cooked Kroger's spiral cut ham (I didn't even glaze it) .

I made baked custard in same oven . My L&L glass ovals worked perfectly for the water bath with smaller dish inside! I do need to obtain some new nutmeg. Does anyone know where to purchase whole nutmeg to grind ?

I warmed canned green beans with a touch of bacon and onions. Also baked Idahoan(sp?) purchased AuGratin boxed potatos --$1.00 -- which we both found suprisingly tasty. I used the toaster oven for those and even rememberd to cover with aluminum foil to for a bit to prevent burning .

Then we munched on gifted popcorn ,cookies and various candies as we opened our gifts. It was nice but we missed the rest of usual group and pray that next year will be more familiar . 

I opened a can of tuna for our feline children as opposed to the usual canned cat food !

Trusted Contributor

We usually have 25+ people here for Christmas Day, but that obviously didn't happen.  I always make a ham, appetizers, and desserts.  My mother always makes the lasagna, which is the star of the show (as it should be!).

We went to all of the grandparents houses for a few hours on Christmas Eve to visit.  We met outside with masks on. I made a few appetizers and my grandmother's Italian Christmas Cookies and gave it to everyone to enjoy with their Christmas Dinner.  My  mother made a tray of lasagna for us so that we could still have our traditional Christmas Dinner. I skipped the ham this year because it would have been too much food.  That lasagna is everything though and I'm grateful we were all still able to share in the food aspect of Christmas in our own way this year.

It's the little things right now...

Respected Contributor

@okaywitheasypay wrote:

I do need to obtain some new nutmeg. Does anyone know where to purchase whole nutmeg to grind ?

The online stores that sell spices - like Penzeys and The Spice House- have whole nutmeg.

It's kind of pricey, especially with shipping.

You might find it in a neighborhood grocery store. McCormick sells whole nutmeg (in a bottle).