Honored Contributor

Re: What Food Supplies Do You Keep for Winter Weather?

Here we can get things before we have road problems for about 3 days.  

I live in a neighborhood called the "roller coaster".  "No 4 wheel drive, no get out" for several days.

Honored Contributor

Canned pasta and soups.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Othereeeen wrote:

@Danky2 

To light your gas stove, which has an electric igniter, just use a match.

Turn the gas knob on til you hear the clicking of the igniter, and use your lit match.

Hope this helps!

(Actually, you can turn the knob PAST the part where you hear the clicking....the gas will be flowing out of the burner and you can light it. Don't dawdle....have the match lit and ready and then turn to gas knob on.)

Buy the "Strike on Box" wooden matches for emergency, or a barbecue lighter tool will work.

Or a lit cigarette!!!!

I keep my wooden matches in a Ziploc bag so they are nice and dry....humidity in the air can make them damp, but I've never had them not light.

You reminded me - one year we had a bad ice storm and lost power. A few neighbors had upgraded their stoves to the glass top electric. So they could not heat up anything. We had our gas stove with the electric ignitor. So we were heating up water for tea and coffee for the neighbors. And heated up assorted lunches for them too. We had all 4 burners going.

We were trying to run the hot stuff to their houses while the items was still nice and hot. But also dealing with the ice.

Respected Contributor

We make sure Rx's are filled,asap,too. We've been pretty lucky, here in SW Mi, no big storms for a few years. We prep cars,too.

Honored Contributor

I don't live life expecting a natural disaster.  We're fortunate that we know when something is coming a week or more in advance.  There are no surprise hurricanes, blizzards, tropical storms.   We don't have to stock up on provisions for the winter. I have a bunch of those led chargeable light bulbs so we don't lose light.  We charge all the laptops and computers.  Bring out all the comforters and fleece throws.  I do stock up on the junk food that everyone likes.  But!  Here in MA, we haven't had that situation in years.  Fingers crossed our luck continues.

Esteemed Contributor

Here in Northern MI just about everyone has an alternative heat and cooking source. Living rural it's just a fact of life that it can take 3-5 days to get power restored.

That said, don't think you are immune and it just doesn't happen here.  We're seeing things globally that have nothing to do with mother nature. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sooner @Tuna in pouches or cans. Unopened, smallest jar of mayo for the tuna.

Cans of beans, including baked beans. They do not require heating. 

Esteemed Contributor

When I think of bad winter weather, I'm thinking loss of electricity because of ice, significant snow and/or strong winds. For those times, it could be 2 to 3 days until power is restored. Crackers, cheeses of all sorts, peanut butter, meats like salami or summer sausage, tuna packets, cans of beans/weenies (cold), carrots, breakfast bars, bread, etc....basically anything that doesn't need to be heated.  Most storms here in Missouri don't knock us out of commission for more than a few days and we don't lose electricity for an extended period of time very often - at least in my area..

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It's a good question, but I couldn't possibly make a list.  With the exception of bottled water, I'm stocked at all times, no matter the season.  There's nothing that bothers me more than having to run out for an item or ingredient at the last minute. Neighbors know that my door is the one to knock on if they need something. I have a gas stove and oven, but purchased an induction burner for emergencies. So far we haven't had one.

In addition, don't even ask me about autumn... the minute the chill hits the air I go into squirrel mode and start stocking things away.

🐿️ 

🥜 🌰 

🥜 🌰 🥜 🌰 

🥜 🌰 🥜 🌰 🥜 🌰 

🥜 🌰 🥜 🌰 🥜 🌰 🥜 🌰 🥜 🌰 

~ house cat ~