Honored Contributor

What Food Supplies Do You Keep for Winter Weather?

This is the time of the year when I think about ice storms and winter weather where we might be in for a week or two during coming months.

I check to see if I have:

A big jar of peanut butter and enough crackers

Canned chicken breast

Soups

Shelf stable milk of some kind

A few gallons of water

Canned Le Sueur peas and/or green beans

Batteries

I just bought some dehydrated veggie soup mix to try.  

What do you have?  What am I missing?  

Esteemed Contributor

Re: What Food Supplies Do You Keep for Winter Weather?

I live in Arizona so we don't worry about storms, power outages, snow and ice. We keep the normal stuff, peanut butter, batteries, radio. Nothing we don't already use on a daily basis. 

Honored Contributor

I usually take a look at this dot gov site occasionally to see if anything has changed. It's a useful website for lots of things concerning food and emergencies.

"READY"

https://www.ready.gov/food#supplies

Honored Contributor

Candles, matches, cigarette lighters (which sometimes don't work, reason for matches), make sure batteries to LED lamp clickers are working, flashlights, generator, canned veggies and meats with pull-off lids, vienna sausage, canned chicken breast, canned tuna, soups for power outages and for other emergencies, lots of freezer veggies and meat.  No peanut butter (I love it but I eat every bite before the emergency convincing myself I will buy another jar soon).

Esteemed Contributor

Sounds like out "hurricane stash!" here in Florida!

Don't forget drinking water!

Esteemed Contributor

I think you have the basics covered.  I live in the northeast and when there is a blizzard forecasted I will usually take the opportunity to buy a roaster chicken, cook it up and make a big bowl of chicken salad.  I will also make extra ice to keep in the cooler.   We always have bottled water, canned goods and peanut butter and crackers on hand anyway.    You never know, the longest we've been without power was 5 days many years ago, I think it was Hurricane Irene.

Honored Contributor

@Nonametoday wrote:

Candles, matches, cigarette lighters (which sometimes don't work, reason for matches), make sure batteries to LED lamp clickers are working, flashlights, generator, canned veggies and meats with pull-off lids, vienna sausage, canned chicken breast, canned tuna, soups for power outages and for other emergencies, lots of freezer veggies and meat.  No peanut butter (I love it but I eat every bite before the emergency convincing myself I will buy another jar soon).

@Nonametoday LOL!!!!!  That's why Costco sells those 2 HUGE jars together in a package! And of course it's good for you!  Woman Embarassed  

You NEED 2 big jars.  For emergencies only!  Except you have to make sure they are still good before said emergency arises.Woman Tongue

Regular Contributor

Extra bread in the freezer

Frozen lasagna--so good when there's a blizzard

Cereal

Frozen liquid eggs

Parmalot--shelf stable milk

Milnot

single malt Scotch

For non-food items...

extra cat food 

cat litter

manual can opener

flashlights

oil lamp and oil

firewood and starters

electric space heater--I was so glad to have this when I had a gas leak last winter and the gas was shut off for 24 hours.

I make sure I have driveway salt and gas/oil for the snowblower. If I need oil or salt, I buy in Oct or Nov. Not on the shelves the day before a snow storm.

Honored Contributor

northern beans, potatoes, yeast, sprites, which they have changed the bottles on the small size now. No more green bottles, they're clear.

I walked right past them thinking they were sold out and all they had was the diet .

went to another grocery and the Coke man was there and I said "did you quit making the small sizes of sprites don't want that diet stuff" he pointed to it and said "they changed the bottle it's clear now".    I said "well, ****, I bet Walmart had them after all . LOL

Honored Contributor

@Sooner 

Yeah, I bought those and they were on recall because of Salmonella or something and we had already eaten most of two jars.  Not going to do that again.