Honored Contributor

Re: What Do You Use Now For Large Roasts Please?

@Kachina624   I must have missed that. I  have several freezers and keep them pretty full.  The only beef I have in there is NY Strip steak. I buy the whole strip and cut it up.  I buy several at a time when they are on sale., and a bunch of flank steak.

I don't have any roasts.  I guess if I stocked up, I would have eaten them all by now anyway.

Thanks for the explanation. That makes sense.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sunshine45 wrote:

black speckled roasting pan with lid. tons of space for a large chuck roast or two PLUS multiple vegetables. i do sear the floured and seasoned meat  on all sides on the stove prior to putting it into the pan. i then deglaze the pan with red wine or beer and add it to the roasting pan. also good for roasting chickens and turkeys.

its an older roaster, but does such a fantastic job of keeping everything moist and flavorful. it is also not heavy at all. i add potatoes, onion, carrots, and celery usually. everyone invites themselves over for dinner. LOL

black speckled roasting pan with lid.jpg

Have you ever baked a whole spiral sliced ham in this roaster with the lid on while baking?

Wondering if it would come out more moist than in a pan covered with foil.

Thanks

Honored Contributor

@Sunshine Kate wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

black speckled roasting pan with lid. tons of space for a large chuck roast or two PLUS multiple vegetables. i do sear the floured and seasoned meat  on all sides on the stove prior to putting it into the pan. i then deglaze the pan with red wine or beer and add it to the roasting pan. also good for roasting chickens and turkeys.

its an older roaster, but does such a fantastic job of keeping everything moist and flavorful. it is also not heavy at all. i add potatoes, onion, carrots, and celery usually. everyone invites themselves over for dinner. LOL

black speckled roasting pan with lid.jpg

Have you ever baked a whole spiral sliced ham in this roaster with the lid on while baking?

Wondering if it would come out more moist than in a pan covered with foil.

Thanks

@Sunshine Kate 

everything i HAVE cooked comes out very moist and tender. i have not tried a whole spiral sliced ham other than getting one from a ham store and reheating it with a glaze in the pan. these pans are great because they are not heavy themselves and you can spray them with pam and not ruin them.....cleanup is pretty easy.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Delicioso! However you made that...DON'T CHANGE A THING! Keep using that exact same roaster 😆 

It looks great, and I can almost smell it! Good Job. @ECBG 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ECBG   I purchased a nice one from Williams Sonoma right after Thanksgiving:

All Clad Stainless-Steel Covered Oval Roasting Pan
Item #: 9270104  for  $159.96.  I see now the same one is being sold for $199.95.  I used it on New Years Day and really liked it.  I don't think you can do much better than all-clad.  

Screen Shot 2021-01-09 at 10.25.26 AM.png

Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie ... I inherited an aluminum roaster just like yours from my Mom.  It must be about 59 years old.  i still have it but just purchased an all-clad covered roaster from Williams Sonoma.  

Honored Contributor

My SIL gave me a big rectangle, stainless steel exterior, non stick, high sides, roaster with a V rack in it with big square handles ,that she got from Macys---oh geez--maybe 30 years ago. Was very inexpensive and still in great shape as I never cook huge pieces of meat anymore-----

Respected Contributor

Nesco roasters are the very best for all large cuts of meat. I have both a 12 & 18 qt. Can't go wrong
Respected Contributor

I have a royal blue 12 qt. Nesco roaster that was a TSV back in the mid 1990's.  It came with a fan thing that you could put in it to make it convection, but I've never used it.  When I got it, I mostly used it for potlucks at work, but these days I ue it for roasts & large quality stuff.

I also have this Viking 3-ply SS roaster that I got on a lightning deal from Amazon a couple of years ago, but I've only used it a few times:

Amazon.com: Viking 3-Ply Stainless Steel Oval Roaster with Metal Induction  Lid and Rack, 8.5 Quart: Kitchen & Dining

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Boehm Collector   I have  SS roaster as well.  I have had mine for years.  Both  of my roasters are in great shape.  I clean them with Bar Keepers Friend.

Aluminum cookware will pit in the dishwasher, but still, many people will forget and wash it this way and ruin it and render it unusable.  QThe same thing will happen if you cook acidic food in them like tomato sauce.

I plan to keep using both of them like I always have. They each have a purpose.