Honored Contributor

Re: What Do You Use Now For Large Roasts Please?

@Kachina624 wrote:

Who can afford to buy a large chuck roast?  I'd have to mortgage the honestead.

@Kachina624 On special and I also get everything but steaks (we think they aren't aged and lack flavor) at Sams.

We'll get 8 servings from this.

Dinner is almost ready. I'll set you a place.  What kind of dressing would you like on your salad and would you like some freshly grated Parmesan cheese?Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ECBG wrote:

I'm finally moving myself to get a roaster.  When I get a big chuck roast and want to put in a lot of vegetables, I need more room.  For turkeys, I buy those disposable aluminum turkey roasting containers.  I don't want to constantly use those and create a footprint.

I found a nice covered stainless one on William Sonoma, just $199.00!  I can do better on amazon for sure.Smiley Happy

@ECBG   When I was first married I used a disposable foil roaster.  Turkey always came out very dry.  The key to moist roasts is to add some liquid and have a tight cover.

My mother gave me her huge (don't know the size but I can put a 20lb turkey in it ) covered roasting pan.  I only use it for a large group.  I needed more oven space for the holidays so I purchased a covered electric roaster on Amazon a few years ago.

What I use more regularly for smaller roasts like chicken and beef is a stoneware covered oval roaster by Le Creuset.  It holds 4 quarts which is large enough for the two of us and looks like new each time I wash it.

I made a roast beef for dinner tonight and added cream of mushroom soup as well a frozen French onion soup along with carrots, onions, celery & potatoes....it came out so tender and juicy!

Respected Contributor

I use a Cuisinart roasting pan that came with a rack in it.  Got it many years ago.  

Honored Contributor

@haddon9 

I need room around the roast and my 5 qt Corningware isn't big enough, I don't want to completely cover the roast, surround it.

Sounds great.  I'm doing the family's fav roast with veggies.  Chuck roast, carrot sticks,  6-7 peeled potatoes, cut in 1/4 in rounds and 2 large onions cut in 1/4's so they don't cook up.

I put the vegies around the chuck roast, sprinkle with garlic, a little Worcestershire sauce 2 cans tomato soup, and about 3/4 can water.  Cover tightly and bake at 350 for 3 hours.  Reheats like a dream, doesn't taste like tomato soup at all!  My step sister ate it cold for breakfast as a child!

Never met anyone that didn't like this one!Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

IMO and my mother's as well, the best roasters are aluminum.  They are difficult to find right now, but available on e-bay. My youngest son just got one from e-bay in nice shape.

They are so good that you do not need to add any liquid in the roaster at all...ever.  I have had mine for over 40 years. My sisters has my mother's and it is probably 70 years old.

My second favorite roaster is stainless steel.  I have one and use it occasionally when I need a smaller roaster. It is easy to keep clean and always looks great.  Mine is over 40 years old, as well. Both of my roasters are covered.

The worst ever, IMO is those black granite roasters. they dry up your meat and you need to keep adding liquid.

The aluminum  roaster I posted is $167 on the web.  You can google.

8B31F50A-0459-4AFE-B33C-7FC2ED98DAC1.jpeg

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

sams club has excellent deals on chuck roasts. a few weeks ago i purchased a big two pack. i used one for pot roast the same day i purchased it and saved the other one for a stew.

our local grocery stores offer savings on chuck roasts every so often.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I recently had to buy a roast to make soup.  I couldn't find a nice knuckle bone so I got ox tails and a roast.

It was on a quick sale and reduced, but it still wasn't cheap.

I had a Prime rib standing roast for Christmas dinner....I could have made lobster for less.  I don't get the high prices of beef.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sunshine45 ~ Ah, the memories, thank you!  

My M❤️M always used one just like the one in your picture for as long as I could remember.

Everything always came out tender, moist, skins always crispy.  Following moms footsteps, I’ve used one for years as well.  Never disappointed.  Just l❤️ve it!

Honored Contributor

@AKgirl2 wrote:

@sunshine45 ~ Ah, the memories, thank you!  

My M❤️M always used one just like the one in your picture for as long as I could remember.

Everything always came out tender, moist, skins always crispy.  Following moms footsteps, I’ve used one for years as well.  Never disappointed.  Just l❤️ve it!

@AKgirl2 

i would NEVER give it up! it seems to get better with age also. Smiley Happy

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

Dutch ovens with lids are wonderful.  My largest is 8 qts I think.  Then I have two more going down in size.

Got one for a wedding present and it got me hooked on cast iron or enameled cast iron.